Thread: Natural Edge Bowl: What type of wood is this?

Question Natural Edge Bowl: What type of wood is this?

Back in May, I took a chance on an offering for free 'firewood'. I wasn't sure what type of wood it was, but I took a chance on it anyways. Here is what the logs looked like after I got them, and the end grain and side grain after I cut it:

0a Logs.jpg 0c Log Cut Endgrain.jpg 0d Log Cut Endgrain.jpg 0e Log Cut Endgrain.jpg

What type of wood do you think this is?

I never did come to a firm decision as to what type of wood it is. I got to it long after the opportunity to inspect any of its leaves. After I cut it, I believe it had a slightly pleasant smell, and as you can see, the end grain was sunshot. The shavings are orange-brown. Considering the bark and end grain, at this point, I think it is most likely spalted plum.

Yesterday, I finally got around to turning one of the blanks into a bowl, and here it is:

8 overall.jpg 9 overall b.jpg 10 overall.jpg

It was turned entirely with scrapers, with the exception of a skew to form the tenon, then sanded with 220 grit only. So far, it's been saturated in walnut oil, then 2 thin layers of polymerized linseed oil.

Let me know what you think!

Chris, you have the bark which is more than most, who show a picture of the wood. If colored by spalting, ID by color and figure, iffy at best, is out. You can narrow the guesses down by looking a prepared transverse section (end grain) to see if the tree is diffuse porous, ring porous, or something in between. You can compare what you see with a magnifier to endgrain photos in the Wood Database and other resources.

One easy way to know for sure: send a small sample to the US Forest Products lab. They will ID and send the answer without charge. The details are near the bottom of this page:

http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/research/ce...dfactsheet.php

JKJ

Reminds me of Apricot

All I can guess is some sort of fruit wood.

While I have nothing to offer you with respects to wood ID it is nice looking material.

Cottonwood

Red Birch?
    Maker of Fine Kindling, and small metal chips on the floor.
    Embellishments to the Stars - or wannabees.