Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question about Moxon vise

Having an end vise like yours would be nice for dovetails, but mine is an L vise, which will work but.... Thanks for the pics and the insight!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark R Webster View Post
    Hi Robert, The shoulder vise puts me a lot further from the work piece than I like. It just feels uncomfortable (​to me). I probably don't get the most out of the vise since I mainly just use it for edge treatment on wide boards. Thanks for the tip on the width. If you drop the moxon are you going to use it for dovetailing?
    I have a moxon-type vise (the one TFWW sells), but only use it for very small/detailed dovetailing.

IMO dovetailing vise height is a tradeoff between visibility and cutting mechanics. It's easier to see what you're doing with a high vise, but it's harder to cut with a relaxed, straight stroke. As I've gotten (a little) better at dovetailing I've come to prioritize mechanics over visibility. I've cut enough at this point that I find that I can follow my layout even with limited visibility, but there's no substitute for clean mechanics.

I think that a twin-screw face vise like Derek's is a good choice, perhaps with a low-power magnifier as those can deliver a clear view at a decent working distance.

Just my $0.02...
    Last edited by Patrick Chase; 09-17-2016 at 1:34 PM.

Sounds logical to me thanks Patrick!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark R Webster View Post
    Hi Robert, The shoulder vise puts me a lot further from the work piece than I like. It just feels uncomfortable (​to me). I probably don't get the most out of the vise since I mainly just use it for edge treatment on wide boards. Thanks for the tip on the width. If you drop the moxon are you going to use it for dovetailing?
    Probably just for wide boards. I've found the SV is not uncomfortable you just have to adjust the wrist angle a bit when sawing.

Hi Robert, I am giving the SV another try as we "speak". Thanks for the input.

This is a coincidence. I have been thinking about Moxon vises lately and spent yesterday afternoon making one. It may not win any beauty contests, and it's not nearly as spiffy as one of those benchcrafted models, but then again it was not even $15 in hardware store parts plus some soft maple I had laying around. The worktable you see it on is about 34" and the jaws are about 4 1/2" high. The work is at the right height for me when standing and sawing, but then I'm 6'. The beauty of a Moxon vise is that it can be set it up anywhere, so maybe a dedicated table that puts it at the right height for you? You'll see holes in the end of the back cleat on mine because I plan to hang it on the wall when not in use.

Also, like others have mentioned, you could build it right into your bench. David Barron, the James Bond of dovetailing has a video that talks about his Moxon vise and why he chose to install it permanently in his bench. You can see it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7ZNU7atoxc . I think he has a follow up video on some refinements he made to his vise like adding springs (which I did also). Obviously his objective is to have the work at the right height for sawing in a seated position.

If you're of a mind to make your own Moxon vise and you've made a European cabinetmaker's bench before, a project like this will be a walk in the park for you. You can make a poor man's version like I did, or get acme thread screws, wood screws, the benchcrafted kit, or whatever. There's lots of info on the web about Moxon vises. If function is your main priority, I will tell you my humble vise has an incredibly strong grip and will hold a sheet of paper so tightly, you can lift the unclamped vise with it.

You're smart to be thinking about ergonomics. I should have done the same when I was setting up my shop. It's all a work in progress.

moxon1.JPGmoxon2.JPGmoxon3.JPGmoxon4.JPG

Nicely done Glenn! And thanks for the link.

Hi again Glenn, I really like David Barron's Moxon version from your link. That would really take care of my wants. I guess at this point I just need to decide if I want to modify my current bench or try to find another spot to have a separate bench similar to Barron's. I spent some time dovetailing on my shoulder vice yesterday and it wasn't as much of a problem as had remembered from past use for dovetailing. Anyway lots to think about. Thanks again