Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Something weird happened the other day

Something weird happened the other day

I'm installing the dado blade in my TS and oops I dropped the arbor nut.
    No bigger just reach down, feel around in the sawdust, right?

No. Get a magnet, search around, not there.

Clean out the whole bin - no nut.

Take the dust coll pipe off, look in - no nut.

Take the elbow off look down the duct that runs along the back - THERE IT IS - PAST 2 90'S AND 3 FEET DOWN THE PIPE.

Kind of like how toast always lands on the buttered side if you drop it.

Never buy arbor nuts with legs.

Urgh, I hate dropping that stupid nut! I wish there were some way to attach a cord to it so it could just dangle there after you remove it. Or that they would just come up with another way to hold the blade on the arbor! I swear it feels like its going to slip out of my hand every time I take it off!
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Twice, Ive removed dado blades and forgot to remove the arbor washer. I don't even realize it until I go to install a regular sawblade. I found it once inside the cabinet after vacuuming out the sawdust (my Griz TS is not great at dust collection, even with a good cyclone). The other time, I had to do as you did...remove an elbow and blast gate to find it about a foot inside the DC pipe.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm McLeod View Post
    Never buy arbor nuts with legs.
    And NEVER feed them after midnight!

Blog Entries
    I have had the same experience with my saw. The dust collection opening is on the bottom and when I drop the nut, it often goes several feet into the DC piping. I have to disassemble several pieces to retrieve my arbor nut.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Maybe you should change your name to Murphy.

I've gotten into the habit of unscrewing the nut directly onto my index finger and lifting it out that way. It tends to stay put them. Of course, my fingers are fairly thin so it works. It probably wouldn't work so well if the nut barely covered the finger tip.

Reminds me of the "over the river and through the woods" story. It's amazing how far dropped objects move.

My table saw dust duct goes out through the floor and I have been there and done that twice. If I do it again I'm buying the next round.

The shop next door had one in a Unisaw make it all the way to the impeller. Scratch one stabilizer.
    And golf clap for a Nederman dust collector.

I guess it made a pretty good THWANG!!! when it hit. Another reason to have a cyclone in front of the fan.

I have had the dust collector hose in hand, sucking up some dust before, just a general clean up, knocked a jar of screws off the bench and heard a version of a cheap gatlin gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Womer View Post
    I have had the dust collector hose in hand, sucking up some dust before, just a general clean up, knocked a jar of screws off the bench and heard a version of a cheap gatlin gun.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

Happened so many times that I now care for handling the nut more than installing the blades.