Thread: Making an angled stopped dado

Making an angled stopped dado

I want to build a magazine rack like in the attached photo.
    How would I go about making the dados that the front pieces would fit in to? Specifically, so that they line up on the two sides.
    Thanks

7+Pocket+Wall+Mount+Magazine+Rack.jpg

Cut the angle on the sides, then just run that angle against the fence.

Doing the stop part would be unpleasant, but not a big deal. Use a piece of scrap to mark where the leading and trailing edge of the dado head is on the fence. Mark your work piece accordingly and just run to your lines. I just ran mine through and put the panel that goes in the dado run proud of the sides.

I just had to make something similar the other day to cover up a massive snafu.

Oops, I wasn't thinking. Build a sled for each side, or get fancy and make one that pivots. Just run the dados through, then apply a cap to the face to make them blind

Blog Entries
    Another great use for a router ;-) Clamp a guide with a stop block, route, move, repeat. If you will make more than one, build a template. The template can be flipped for the opposing side. This isn't to scale but, the slots could be cut to fit a template bushing. Drill the stop holes at the drill press and jigsaw or bandsaw the long cuts.

router template 1.JPG
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 09-16-2016 at 2:30 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Router and guide/template followed by a sharp chisel. I wouldn't use the table saw for that kind of work.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

good idea Thanks!

Blog Entries
    A router is definitely the way to make the side pieces with the angled cuts. A router will be much much safer than trying to cut stopped dados on a table saw. The router will also leave less clean up than the stopped dado cut on TS.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

This screams router to me also