Thread: 2-stage DC, smaller "fines" bag?

2-stage DC, smaller "fines" bag?

I, like many others, have added a 2nd stage to my 2HP HF dust collector by way of the 30gal can/Thien baffle combo. I'd like to put the can on the cart that came with the DC to retain the system's mobility; most conversions I've seen out there end up putting the can where the motor mounts, then building some additional support to mount the motor above the can.

Since I get so little material actually making it to the large plastic bag that came with the DC, I'm wondering if I could instead put the can there and just make the "fines" bag smaller? Is there some physics involved that I don't understand which makes this impractical? I may need to upload a clarifying sketch.

Thanks

Blog Entries
    If your separation is good enough the last bag can certainly be reduced. The Dust Deputy on my shop vac catches so much of the spoil I got rid of the vac's barrel and built the motor/filter into a small box; maybe .5 cubic foot of space for spoil that gets past the DD. I get about a tablespoon of talc sized dust in there every 10 buckets of spoil or so.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Eddie, if you look at some of the bigger cyclone systems from Oneida and such, there is no dust bag as such - just a clean out box underneath the filter. Agree with Glenn, there's no reason not to replace the large bag with something smaller - as long as you never over fill of course.
    I think a lot of people retain the bag under the filter as its fairly easy to build it that way instead of a separate container.