Thread: Garage sale finds - what is its?

Garage sale finds - what is its?

I went to a garage sale and found a few things I could use some help identifying.

First up is some kind of contour gauge I think, it's just really big. I have the common one that most of us have but I couldn't pass this one up for the few bucks I got it for. The tags are worn off enough where my untrained eye can't make them out.

Next up are some plane blades. First is a small block plane I think but is narrower than any I have.

Last are three blades that appear to fit my Stanley 78 but doesn't quite. Any ideas?

(I realize the pictures aren't in order but I think you guys can figure it out)
    Attached Images Attached Images

The group of three MIGHT be for a Stanley, or Millers Falls rebate block plane...Stanley #140.....Narrow iron might be for a Stanley #103....

Never seen the irons from Stanley No. 10.......not sure..
    Last edited by steven c newman; 09-16-2016 at 9:50 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    I went to a garage sale and found a few things I could use some help identifying.

[snip]

Next up are some plane blades. First is a small block plane I think but is narrower than any I have.

Last are three blades that appear to fit my Stanley 78 but doesn't quite. Any ideas?

(I realize the pictures aren't in order but I think you guys can figure it out)
    Matt,

It would help if you listed the width dimensions for the blades.

The narrow block plane blade does look to be from a #102 or #103. Either of those blades are 1-1/4" wide.

The other blades do appear to be from rabbet planes, but those do not look like what I have for a Stanley #10 blade. Do the blades have any markings?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Jim, the blade is 4" long and 1 3/16" wide.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Indeed,the first item is a contour jig. I have one just like it.But,this is not just any old contour jig. This old one has MUCH finer blades than anything you can buy today. I value mine highly. I don't know who made them,but they are quite superior to today's contour jigs. Todays have blades that are 1/16" wide. You get much less of a detailed template.

You are lucky to have found it!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    Jim, the blade is 4" long and 1 3/16" wide.
    This looks like a blade for a Stanley 220 block plane.
    Don

Hi Matt,

I have uncertainty in putting this in the post, because I am uncertain about it. However, on the Stanley block plane iron, the type of Stanley Rule and Lever Co. trade mark of that style on the iron, is the same type that was used on the type 3 Stanley Bailey planes. The type 3s were made from 1872 to 1873, according to Hyperkitten.

I do know that some of the spokeshaves I have looked at, the Stanley Logo stamped on the iron is similar to the Logo on the Bailey and Bedrock plane irons, but is more compact.

For that reason, I believe that iron could be in the early 1870s vintage, but because of my lack of knowledge on these am uncertain of my identification on this. Still, because of the information on Hyperkitten felt that you might be interested in a possible date, even though it is only a probable date.

Stew

Thanks for the help so far guys. Keep it coming.