Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Handmade

Derek,

Congrats!!
    Thanks Brian. It was a surprise, I assure you.

You are correct about PP Mobler - a senior moment on my part. Hansen manufactured The Chair in 1950. Mobler came later, and remain current.

Regards from Perth

Derek

George, combine my surname and the speed at which I work and the numerous "learnings" I encounter with every build, I suspect they we're hiring my ancestors...must still be in my DNA

Blog Entries
    The problem I see with this topic is "politics" gets drawn into it. Certainly most posters here have some background to base an opinion on regarding what makes something "hand made". Unfortunately Mr. John Q public may have to rely on labels and advertising claims with little real knowledge of the topic. Politics too often IMHO (in my humble opinion), involves compromise, however, compromising on labels and product construction "definitions" is often counter productive.

Often those companies making products end up compromising among themselves to make the rules about labeling/describing their products. For instance, IMHO, dog food labels are intentionally vague/confusing/even deceptive. The "rules" may be designed more to cloud than illuminate the facts. I find that much of advertising, particularly in the last couple decades, attempts to target a product/companies greatest weakness and make it seem like a great strength. The whole idea of truth in advertising has become a bad joke. Certainly this environment makes defining a term like "hand made" very difficult. Even if we were to come up with the perfect definition that at once illuminated the prerequisite requirements and advantages, chances are, competing "not hand made" products would immediately find ways to cloud the subject in the public view.

When my father was completing his trade apprenticeship as a Carpenter & Joiner in Scotland during the 1950s, wood finishing was still classified as a separate trade. When he arrived in Australia, his 1st commission work was to build a traditional spiral staircase with 5 upper landings. All in timber. No tradesmen locally had the depth of knowledge to take on that type of work. I've had the opportunity to work with some extremely talented craftsmen in the woodworking trade, and he was in a league above them all. R.I.P. old man.
    Last edited by Stewie Simpson; 09-18-2016 at 9:47 AM.

In Germany,I can't recall when,they used to actually have a contest where several craftsmen would build stair cases in a large room to compete with each other!

I watched a video about Red Wing shoes being made in their factory. I would call them hand made. Hand made in America. Awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    This link directs to some WoodCentral advertising, not pop woodworking. Can you please supply a better link?
    Pat, I am not sure whether one needs to be logged in or not. The link should take you to a list of Pop Wood award winners. Here is the link again ..

http://www.popularwoodworking.com/wo...awards-winners

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Last edited by Derek Cohen; 09-18-2016 at 11:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Pat, I am not sure whether one needs to be logged in or not. The link should take you to a list of Pop Wood award winners. Here is the link again ..

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Regards from Perth

Derek
    Congratulations Derek!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Thanks Fred

Regards from Perth

Derek

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Thanks Derek. The new link works. Your chair looks better than ever! Congratulations on the accomplishment and recognition.

Many thanks for the kind words Pat.

Regards from Perth

Derek

{"I find that much of advertising, particularly in the last couple decades, attempts to target a product/companies greatest weakness and make it seem like a great strength. The whole idea of truth in advertising has become a bad joke."}
    AAAmen. Deceptive propaganda has always been around and will no doubt remain. Too much biased, politics, and the all mighty dollar to ever rid ourselves of the disease which infects the consumers will to decide. " That's all I got to say about that" ( Forest Gump )

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Hepler View Post

Hand-made furniture shares the idea of individual character, craftsmanship, one-at-a-time production, and a connection between the craftsman and the user. In David Pye’s terminology, craftsmanship requires the workmanship of risk, where an operation is under the control of the workman and could go wrong if he or she were not sufficiently competent and attentive. This idea applies equally well to hand tools, hand-held power tools, and hand adjusted bench power tools. It seems to exclude automated substitutes for craftsmanship. Pye believed that workmanship of risk would produce small diversities in fit and appearance that would enhance the beauty of the piece, and which factory made furniture could never achieve. This is what many people mean when they say hand made. (Workmanship of risk is not a term that I intend to use very often in describing my work.)
    The Workmanship of Risk concept is what determines "hand made" for me also.

Blog Entries
    Risky, like a shaper with spindle runout and a skipping feeder?
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    thats terrific, Derek, and well deserved!
    Paul