Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Handmade

Blog Entries
    "You just made my point Mike."
    Patrick I think you have a good deal to offer this forum technically and I respect your points. It just seems to me that tossing science/math/engineering principals up against a proverbial wall to see if any of it sticks tends to obfuscate instead of illuminate.

It seems to me that there are two ways to go in these discussions. One way attempts to simplify, clarify and relate personal experiences to our specific areas of interest. The other tends more to obscure actual meaning in a sea of technically inconsequential, non related subject matter.

My admittedly off topic comments above were solely made to accentuate the fact that IMHO off-topic, unrelated technical information, which does not stand up to scrutiny as relevant in this context, was tossed at the subject.

Trying to relate the YouTube comments of an Astrophysicist, talking about a completely unrelated topic, tying that to some obscure reference to GMO IMHO has very little chance of illuminating the discussion. IMHO it would take volumes of written material to draw any meaningful comparisons on topics that diverse.

Patrick, it is interesting that you chose a Neil deGasse YouTube video to illustrate your point. In an article in Wired entitled "Neil deGrasse Tyson Is a Black Hole, Sucking the Fun Out of the Universe" Wired said:

"Neil deGrasse Tyson is, supposedly, an educator and a populariser of science; it’s his job to excite people about the mysteries of the universe, communicate information, and correct popular misconceptions. This is a noble, arduous, and thankless job, which might be why he doesn’t do it. What he actually does is make the universe boring, tell people things that they already know, and dispel misconceptions that nobody actually holds. In his TV appearances, puppeted by an invisible army of scriptwriters, this tendency is barely held in check, but in his lectures or on the internet it’s torrential; a seeping flood of grey goo, paring down the world to its driest, dullest, most colourless essentials. He likes to watch scifi films, and point out all the inaccuracies."
    Last edited by Mike Holbrook; 09-24-2016 at 2:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    The Fiddleback Jarrah was so hard that I struggled to shape the arms with spokeshaves.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    First, gorgeous chair and kudos for doing it the hard way... Speaking of hard things is your Sinn U1 the tegimented version?

Whenever their is not a universally applicable and precise definition of a term of art that can be used to increase the monetary value of an item you can bet there will be controversy and long discussion about it. Etsy is in the unenviable position of having a market place to protect and needing to come up with a definition of handmade that can be applied objectvely to a broad spectrum of products. Handmade is one of those things I see like Justice Potter Stewart used to craft his threshold test for obscenity "I know it when I see it". The only problem with that and this is everyone sees through a different set of eyes. I think the closer one is to a hand tool only user the more strict their personal definition of handmade might be. This got me thinking about a couple of pieces I have built over the years, I made a pattern, roughed out the part on the bandsaw, slapped the pattern on the wood and put it on the shaper with a pattern power feeder and viola a near finish ready part. Were they handmade? I dunno, I never really thought about it but if someone had ask me "did you hand make that?" I would have reflexively said "yes".
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Blog Entries
    This discussion is near and dear to me. This is a point having to do with why we as Neanders choose to work as we do. There is a point between the juncture of woodworking and art where many "woodworkers" here straddle the line between art and simple construction of physical objects for use in the home. Certainly guys like George, Warren, Brian, Derek and others seem to me to hoover over this line. This is a place I would like to spend more time in as well.

For me "art" is created "by hand". Certainly there is computer generated art but someone still has to do work with their hands to "create" the physical art, even if morphing software....is used. For me, it is precisely these junctures between different: disciplines, hobbies, art, science, philosophy, work & even religion that offer us the best learning opportunities.

My objective in this conversation does not relate to any individuals but to styles of posting and discussion which may or may not be conducive to pursuing the topics. It seems to me that pursuing the styles we use posting on topics has the potential for reducing or eliminating issues. I do not claim to own any space on the "righteous" side of any of this discussion. I have seen many posts get blocked. I only hope these can be reduced and have often thought that pursuing posting styles might help.

Abe Lincoln was noted as apologizing before one of his longer speeches. He commented that he just did not have the time to write a shorter one. I will admit to frequently failing at this task as well and would like to apologize for not always taking the time to edit.
    Last edited by Mike Holbrook; 09-24-2016 at 4:37 PM.

Blog Entries
    Derek,

I realize you are at least 15 hours later than we are in the Central Time Zone in the U.S.

You and Stewie must spend a lot of time on line in the wee hours of the morning? When do Aussies sleep?