Thread: Opinions please.

Blog Entries

Opinions please.

I turned this piece several months ago and last night, since I had broken my last spare belt for my HF mini, I took a couple of pieces down to give them another coat of finish. This is one of my favorite vases and got about it's 4th coat.

Could someone please critique this vase? Not one single person has shown any appreciation for it and I don't unddrstand why. Are the proportions off? I turned it from a piece of kiln dried walnut about 3.5x5, so I couldn't give it more girth and I wanted a tall piece. Where did I go wrong.

By the way, look closely and you'll see the markings of a frustrated turner. I put way too much Fornby's on it and waited to long to buff it, so next time I'll have to use some mineral spirits or something to thin it out a bit. And I became impatient with my orbital buffer and nicked the piece in a couple of places.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Ok Bill........I'll bite and offer what I mean to be a helpful critique. First off, nice job on the sanding and the finish.....it looks good. I don't know how long you have been turning, nor if the piece of wood you started out with was big enough in girth to do anything other than you have done here, so all that factors into what is possible with the blank you started out with, so considerations for that might be a big part of a critique, and you should supply a bit more info on what you started out with.

That being said, the form does look out of proportion just a bit, as the height makes it appear a bit stretched out in comparison to most goblet style forms we see. I think instead of a bell shaped base [think trumpet bell] that a better way to make the base would have been to make a definition into the stem area, and perhaps a less angled approach with perhaps a bead at that intersection would have added a lot of visual interest, and then with the top cup, it could benefit from being not so tall in that area. If the cup was about 3/5's as tall, it would conform more to the 2/3rds rule, or what is known as the" Fibananci" or "golden mean" proportions that make for a pleasing form.

Those are just a couple of things I see immediately, but if you have not been turning very long, that is one of those things that you learn from studying form, asking questions, and reading up on the "golden mean" or Fibananci [? spelling] rule. There will be others on this forum who can speak to those things as well. If the amount of wood you had to start with allowed for a bigger diameter cup, then your choice to cut it down to this diameter was not the best one you could have made........a flared out rim for instance, would have added a lot of visual interest as well.

Keep on trying different forms, and keep at it, as you learn with the doing and with studying great forms from some well known turners. Just as an example of possibilities, here is a pic of a tall goblet I made that sold quickly.

DSC_0024.JPG See some of the features I included. Yours does not have to be a replica to be a good form, but you will notice that different features make for visual interest.
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 09-17-2016 at 1:13 PM.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Blog Entries
    Thank you, Roger. That is a great looking goblet!

No, the rough piece would not allow for more girth so this piece was sort of an experiment. Also, my intent was not to turn a goblet...I consider it to be a vase. It had to be a piece that once in place would not be moved for exactly the reason you pointed out. It is very top heavy and unstable. I Just wanted to try a vase as long as my HF mini would allow for. It is 16" tall and as wide as I could go.
    I appreciate your comments very much.

Blog Entries
    And with a piece this tall and thin, placement, that is, the height in the room, makes a huge difference. That was easy to see while trying to get a good pic. Shot from 2 feet away an inch or 2 up or down creates distortion.
    And you're right....I ignored the rule of 3rds.

Bill, I understand you intended it as a vase. But, in reality most that view it would consider it a goblet since it has a stem - or, more appropriately, a "flute", as in champagne flute. Here is a turning I did with a couple of flutes just as an example.
    WEB - 1.jpg

The upper portion of the "cup" portion actually has a nice taper to it. I have taken the liberty of making some notes that might be helpful - or not, depending on what you were intending for the piece. These are just my thoughts.
    REVISION.JPG.jpg

As far as proportions, perhaps this might be one way to present such a piece, though most would still consider it a goblet.
    REVISION 2.jpg

I honestly do not care for a "stem" on such a tall piece and would prefer a much tighter base that presents a stable appearance more consistent with a vase.

Many take a look at something we post, but few venture to offer a response, be it positive or negative. You seem to be off to a reasonable start. After a truck load of chips have been made see the refinement and skill development and be amazed. Do not be afraid to ask for thoughts on your work. Happen turning to you.
    C&C WELCOME

Bill,

Some good comments already.

To my eye, the upper portion is too tall. Had the stem and base been approximately 2/3 of the total height, the shape would have been more pleasing the eye. The shape of the flute portion is fine, but if shorter the opening would be somewhat larger. To me, the opening of the flute is on the small side for the diameter of the piece.

The base would be more attractive if the shape had a concave curve from the table to the stem. A concave curvature would reduce the bulk of the base and add a note of elegance. Keeping the height of the base a bit less would also add to eye appeal.

Turning something that tall and thin is not without it's challenge though, and kudos to you for pulling it off.
    Last edited by Dale Miner; 09-17-2016 at 8:51 PM. Reason: sp

It's out of balance and that makes it unique and desirable--the world is full of "balanced " art. I would be tempted to consider cutting 1&1/2" off the top--it will still be unique.

Blog Entries
    Thank you all for your comments and suggestions.
    John, I can clearly see by your notes at positions on the piece what you are trying to get across to me and it all makes sense. Roger, again, a fascinating piece you've posted....very unusual....and I like it.

Very soon I will be ordering a new 0766, then perhaps I can make the kind of vases I want to make and keep within the accepted proportions.
    And Robert, what can I say? I like the point you made. If I say it's art...it's art.

Thank you all again.
    Got new belts for the mini HF machine and hopefully I'll have a bowl for your critique sometime tomorrow. The piece of wood I chose has grain running in 700 different directions, so it might be a while. Bill
    Last edited by Bill Jobe; 09-18-2016 at 12:11 AM. Reason: Poor spelling.