Thread: Router lift for Milwaukee 5625?

Router lift for Milwaukee 5625?

Just got my new router from Amazon, but now I'm having a hard time finding a lift that will accept it. Went to the usual suspects: Woodpecker, JessEm, and Bench Dog, and their lifts won't take the Milwaukee, nor do they make an adaptor. Theoretically one can adjust the router from above the table with this model, but some reviews I saw said that the mechanism to do that tends to wear out in about 6 months. I figured no big deal, as I intended to have a lift anyway. Does anyone know of a good lift that will accept the Milwaukee 5625---that's the big 3 1/2 horse model. Whats ironic is that as I was doing my research, it kept coming up as the top table router, never would have guessed it would be hard to find a lift for.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Check the Woodpeckers Unilift (link to my review with photos and more details below) that accepts the Milwaukee 5625.
    I have this lift in my TS extension and it has performed perfectly.

http://www.newwoodworker.com/toolrmwdpk.html
    "Because There Is Always More To Learn"

Tom---I looked at that one, but was put off by the fact that you can"t do above the table bit changes without using a bit extender, which doesn't seem like a very good idea. Do you have any thoughts on that? Meanwhile, I'll go check out your link.

I"m back. I was just over there a little while ago, got all excited about the PRL, but no go with the Milwaukee. I don't see why if they make an adaptor for the Unilift, they cant do the same for the PRL. I sent them an email to that effect. Maybe they have one in the works, I haven't built the table yet anyway.

OK, if finally found the review on your site. So with the optional woodpecker wrench can you do above the table bit changes?

Dan
    Last edited by Dan Forman; 09-30-2005 at 3:46 AM.

-Woody Allen-

Dan,
    Yes, they have a stepped wrench that makes it way less of a knuckle-busting deal. I have a Bosch router in mine that with a little fudging on the inital setup, it gets the collet almost above the table. I can change bits that way with regular wrenches but it is close to being a bad idea...
    The stepped wrench makes way more sense, and you get the benefits of a really cool lift plate.

Thanks Tom.

If anyone else is in the same boat and watching this thread, Master Lift from Jessum will accept the Milwaukee with a shim kit as well, though they don't mention that on their web site. Sometimes it helps to call. Also heard back from woodpecker, and they said it could be used in theirs if shimmed and the adjustment stem removed. They don't offer a kit.

Dan
    Last edited by Dan Forman; 09-30-2005 at 4:16 PM.

-Woody Allen-

Milwaukee routers just don't seem to be high on the manufacturers list for some reason. I'm not aware of why that is as the woodworkers eem to like them. Everything I have used from Milwaukee has been very good. Maybe they just don't have the marker share or something that the aftermarket folks need to see.

American WoodWorker -March 2004 has an excellent article on a "homemade" router lift using parts from a local hardware store and the top tilts up to change bits. Very good article and the info can be applied to slot mortisers and other shop aids.

Woodhaven Lift with 1430s shim

Have no experience with it but they claim it works.

Raj
    Last edited by Raj Narayan; 09-30-2005 at 6:24 PM.

Think I will probably go with the MastRLift, thanks for everyone's responses.

-Woody Allen-

The Woodhaven EZ Lift fits the Milwaukee 5625 with an adapter shim. The lift is $165 and the shim is $2, plus shipping. Go to the Woodhaven site and you'll find what you need.

Forgive my ignorance but why? One of the selling points of the Milwaukee routers is that they can be bolted to the plate and a wrench through the base allows you to lift from the top w/o needing a lift.

The vertical travel with a lift may be about double or more the 1 3/4 inches you get with the Milwaukee by itself, making above the table bit changes even easier. Also, there have been some complaints about the Milwaukee's mechanism failing after a few months. Some of the parts are plastic and apparently can wear out.