Thread: Follansbee s-curve and 17th century carving tools

Question Follansbee s-curve and 17th century carving tools

Try as I might (mostly by holding up the printable tool size PDF from the video and profiles in catalogs against a light), I haven't been able to figure out the sizes and sweeps of the tools used in Peter Follansbee's DVDs. Does anyone know what they are? I'm trying to fill out my basic set, and using the tools he shows and Mary May's list as a guide. Thanks.

Peter follansbee has a website/blog and there is an older post about the carving tools that he uses. Start there and if you can't find your answer try to contact him through his site.
    Don't forget the struggle Don't forget the streets

In the way Mr. Follansbee carves the tools determine the size of the pattern, using the exact tools he uses only works if you carve the patterns the exact same size he does. In my opinion you are better off just getting a basic set of tool in an assortment of sweeps and sizes, with a proper set you can carve any thing any size.
    I would call a basic set of tools the following list: a medium sized, V tool, double bevel chisel, and double bevel skew chisel. a small, a medium, and a large gouge in a slow, medium and fast sweep, and a small veiner. A good choice for sweeps would be 3,5,7. For the sizes mix them up, in other words don't make all your smalls the same or the mediums or the larges.

Here is a link I found a while ago:
    http://www.badgerwoodworks.com/2010/...s-interpreted/