Thread: Water Borne HVLP Convert

Water Borne HVLP Convert

I just completed my first project using all water borne stain, sanding sealer and topcoat with a turbine HVLP system. I was blown away with the results.
    I needed to match the color and sheen on my new construction kitchen cabinets and so I used the same Renner wood coatings as the builder did. I had to play around a bit with thinning the sealer and topcoat, but it was worth it. The final topcoat is a 10% sheen and had absolutely zero orange peel. I never had this kind of success with my old air compressor HVLP conversion gun.

I made a panel board first with all of the steps before I committed to the entertainment wall cabinets and it tells the story.
    IMG_0076 1.jpg
    From left to right:
    1) One coat of stain
    2) Second coat of stain
    3) Two coats of sanding sealer sanded with P400 between coats
    4) Final two coats of top coat 10% sheen (matte) finish

Thanks to all in an earlier thread for the helpful suggestions, they helped very much.
    Dick Mahany.

Dick, your experience matches mine - unless I have a very small job to do, I always prefer spraying using the Fuji HVLP with waterborne coatings. Quick, easy and clean up is a breeze

That looks great.

As for the turbine spraying better than your conversion gun, either your conversion gun was of really low quality, or the N/N were not appropriate for what you were spraying. I know of no inherent advantage of a turbine over a conversion gun other than portability.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    That looks great.

As for the turbine spraying better than your conversion gun, either your conversion gun was of really low quality, or the N/N were not appropriate for what you were spraying. I know of no inherent advantage of a turbine over a conversion gun other than portability.

John
    My conversion gun was a Binks, but at the low end. One advantage of the turbine is that I don't need oil/water filters to the gun input hence no fish eyes from a failing filter. As far as portability, yes an advantage since I can easily move from my garage to the back yard with ease if I need to. I also think the pressurized gravity cup on the turbine gun gave me better fine adjustment on the fluid control.
    Last edited by Dick Mahany; 09-19-2016 at 11:07 AM.
    Dick Mahany.

I use an in-line filter at the gun inlet to catch any oil/water that comes down the air line; never had any fish-eyes. The advantage of the pressurized cup is that it allows you to use a smaller N/N compared to a gravity feed gun, and that does give better atomization. My new pressure assisted gun sprays EnduroVar far easier and better than my old gravity feed gun ever could.

Glad you are happy with your gun - and the WB products.

John