Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Freight companies?

Thanks everyone for your responses.
    I have been amazed at the wildly different quotes I have received from the many companies I have called. So far the best rate (by far) has been from Old Dominion. And the highest quote of nearly $6k was from UPS Freight.
    I recently talked to a guy who bought a similar Northfield 16" jointer, shipped it, and when it arrived it had evidently fallen on its side and the main body casting was cracked as well as motor casing damage. That story combined with other mishap stories here have changed my mind on hiring out the job. I think four days out of my life will be worth it knowing I am the only one who will handle my new (used) jointer that I will have for the rest of my life.
    My suburban, a Uhaul, heavy duty trailer, and I will make the Texas to Michigan to Texas trip.
    The trailer rents for $35/day, gas is cheap, and I've never driven in that part of the country so hopefully it won't be too painful.
    Again, thanks!

Congrats on the new jointer John! When I moved mine I built a heavy pallet with big casters then bolted it to the pallet. The tables are removable but if you leave them in place put a strap around the entire machine (end to end) to prevent a table from sliding forward in the event of a quick stop.

And it wouldn't be a bad idea to get in touch with Jeff at Northfield, he can give you the machines history.

What year? And is it belt or direct drive?

We have had OD and Fedex deliver equipment and items to us regularly. I've always been happy with OD. FedEx I'm not a fan of.