Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Many Lives Have You Saved?

How Many Lives Have You Saved?

Got to thinking earlier this evening about the blood donations I have made over the years. Almost ten gallons, with each gallon being 8 pints, for a total of 78 pints. This means I have saved, or help save 78 people whom I will never meet. Save a life, donate blood! When you are gone, let them say the world was a better place because you were here, not because you are gone.

Blog Entries
    I had given close to 20 gallons before I had to stop due to cancer. That would be somewhere near 160 pints
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I started giving blood in 2003, rather late in life. I have a lot of trouble with anything medical, particularly needles. For example, I have to lie down to get a shot. For another, more embarrassing example, I have sometimes had to quickly lie down on my vet’s exam room floor to avoid fainting when my cat was getting a shot.

In 2003 it got personal, with both my brother and a coworker needing blood during treatment for cancer. I have been giving regularly since then, although I missed about three years due to serious illnesses of my own. I am now up to 6½ gallons.

I had hepatitis A when I was four. So I can't donate blood. I am an RN and probably have saved few.

I was upwards of 10 gallons when I retired but I haven't given blood since. I should change that.

Edit: According to the American Red Cross I'm to old to give blood. Oh well...
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 09-19-2016 at 10:51 PM.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I wish say thanks to all that have donated. My wife has leukemia and has received over a dozen pints this summer. Without this blood and platelets she would have died. She will need many more this year. Thanks again

The same is true for my teen-age great-nephew, who recently completed 3 1/2 years of treatment for leukemia. He never would have survived his treatment without transfusions.

I'm only at 57 pints, but I didn't start until I was in my 50s. I'm 67 and still donating.

Note to Bruce - Last year I asked if there was an age limit for donating. The response was that as long as you're in good health there is no age limit.

Don't give blood much. But I have pulled people out of rips at beaches where they weren't marked. Does that count?
    Paul

Well over 120 pints of blood and being I have AB- that is pretty rare. Will continue as long as I can.
    John T.

I prefer to give the double reds. Red Cross says they get more use from the doubles, I only wish I could give them more than 3 times a year.

Tried to sign up for bone marrow donations but they wouldn't accept me because of my sleep apnea.
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

I use to give only once in a great while because I would forget and the donation center was out of the way. Now, their mobile unit shows up across the street every couple months, so I've been giving more regularly over the last year. I'm only up to 2 gallons lifetime, but I (in theory) have a lot of years ahead of me in which to donate.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

I haven't donated blood but I did save my brother and some other kid from drowning. I had spinal surgery, they went in and straightened out some curves in my back and screwed two titanium rods in there, I needed a lot of blood so I'm thankful to those who give blood and will be doing the same soon.
    I was once a woodworker, I still am I'm just saying that I once was.

Chop your own wood, it will warm you twice. -Henry Ford

They don't want my blood but in my youth I was a lifeguard and saved at least 2 swimmers.

A contractor was loading his dozer on his lowboy trailer which was hooked to a dump truck. This was sitting on a hill. As he got it up on the lowboy, it knocked the truck out of gear and was rolling backwards quickly downhill toward a deep ditch. I ran and caught up with the truck, got in and stopped it just short of the ditch.

We were both pretty shaken and just stood there with no words. This was when I was much younger and faster. Now, I probably could not have done that.