Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Butler's Desk - Finale

Blog Entries

The Butler's Desk - Finale

Good morning! Today's post completes the series on making The Butler's Desk, I hope you will check out the last post in the series;
    https://brianholcombewoodworker.com/...dware-part-ii/
    I look forward to your comments.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Hi Brian

That is nice, clean work. You know I share your fondness for the uncluttered.

One question - why one stay (which I recognise you was one you made - excellent work!). Why not two stays for a balanced look and more strength?

Regards from Perth

Derek

It's beautiful Brian,excellent work fitting all the hardware.
    Thanks for sharing your work with us.

Aj

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Hi Brian

That is nice, clean work. You know I share your fondness for the uncluttered.

One question - why one stay (which I recognise you was one you made - excellent work!). Why not two stays for a balanced look and more strength?

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Thanks Derek! Two reasons for the single stay, one is that I don't want the user to feel that the desk can be used without the supporting drawer, and the second is that it will be a constant nuisance to using the sliding tray on the right hand side of the desk. If I were using it and had a second stay I'd likely knock the coffee cup out of my own hands daily.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    It's beautiful Brian,excellent work fitting all the hardware.
    Thanks for sharing your work with us.

Aj
    Thank you! My pleasure.

Brian, that is a beautiful piece. I like the wood selection and the clarity of the finish. I guess the only thing I could criticize is those dovetails on the top of the case. Not the execution, that is great. They just seem to catch your eye at that edge with slick lines everywhere else.
    Jim

Blog Entries
    Thanks Jim! Appreciate the critique, I had debated between these and full blind dovetails and ultimately decided to show them (the client voted for seeing them as well).

Brian You must do what the client asks. I just saw those and immediately pictured the piece without them. Full blinds are a bit tricky(for me). I just tried some recently. Will be doing more in the future. They are probably no hill for a high stepper like you tho.
    Jim

Blog Entries
    I've done full blinds with success (the humidor build) but truth be told, while they're quite satisfying to build you almost forget the amount of effort that went into them when you see the finished piece.....for better or for worse, lol.

If you can setup a plane for them, they're certainly easier than if you have to clean the miter with a paring chisel.

Brian I sawed mine with a dovetail saw. Tried western and Japanese saws. About the same result. Cleaned up a bit with chisels. Worked OK. This was for a small box. Not sure how well it would work on a case side.
    Jim

Blog Entries
    Ahh, yeah for case sides a plane is needed, I have one on order but it may be a while before I recieve it.

Brian,
    Once again an impressive design and beautiful execution. I have no problem with the dovetails and understand your explanation for the single stay but it does seem a little out of balance. Thank you for sharing - Bill

Blog Entries
    Thanks Bill! I appreciate your comments!

Very nice Brian. Enjoyed the entire build. Regarding the shown dovetails, I have to say, when so much of the skilled joinery work goes unseen, I think it's great to "show off" a bit on the outside.

indeed very nice build, and great documentation!

This plane for cutting the mitered dovetails, how does it work. Cutting both mitered surfaces at once, or one at a time?

Blog Entries
    Thank you both!

I do enjoy the dovetails, I plan to use them again on an upcoming pair of cabinets. For me the full blind dovetails are wonderful but I debate heavily with wether or not to use them in casework, they seemed most appropriate in my humidor.

Oskar, it planes one surface at a time.

Cheers
    Brian