Thread: Chess Board

Chess Board

My son asked me to build him a chess board so he and his wife can play while he's off work getting chemo for a recurrence of Lymphoma. I dropped all of my wife's projects (of course) to work on the board for him. It's far from perfect, but I'm happy with the result as a relative novice. The light squares are maple. The dark squares are cherry that I dyed to give them the look he wanted. The border is cherry with a clear finish. It was a fun project and I'm shipping it off to them today.
    Chessboard_2.jpgChessboard_1.jpg

That's a pretty board, Scott. I hope it gives your son and daughter-in-law the break from boredom they seek.

I play chess all the time and I would be proud to use a board like that. I'm sure they will love it. Best wishes to your son.

Very nice! I like your color choice. What a wonderful thing to send to your son.

This brings back memories of when I worked at the woodcraft industries at Berea College back in 1969. One of the many game things we made was chess/checker boards. They had a sander with three big drums - feed a glue-up in one end and it comes out perfectly flat and finished sanded on the other! Almost too perfect...

I've wanted to make a board myself for years but just never did. This would go well with the chess pieces I haven't carved yet.

JKJ