Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Barber Shop...Do You Use a Real Barber?

Barber Shop...Do You Use a Real Barber?

I am still old school and only go to someone with a "barber" certificate which is different than a beautician where I live. Recently, I have started "scheduling" appointments so I don't wait in line. I miss the good old days in military barber shops when it was first come, first served.... How many of you still use a real barber? Or do you sport long lochs of hair like Rod Sheridan?

I've been going to the same old school barber in the same old school barber shop for 20+ years. Berto charges me $12.50 and hasn't raised his price in ten years. He told me he was going to retire next year.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I went to the same barber for over 20 years. He retired. I found a new one. He's about to retire having recently sold his shop to a young female barber. He is now cutting hair only on Monday. She has cut my hair twice. I wondered how business would go after she bought the shop. It's actually increased significantly. But, she and her recently hired female assistant are both licensed barbers.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Blog Entries
    In the military hair cuts were easy, just cut it all short While I was in the reserves, I had drill once a month so I go a haircut once a month. Now that I am retired it is usually longer between haircuts. I refuse to go to the fashion hair cutting places where you never know what sort of a haircut you will end up with. I went to the same barber for 20 years before he retired and sold the business. I didn't care for how the new hair cutters did their work so I changed to a different barber shop where there are three real barbers and deal with first come first served, but I never have to wait very long.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I like to use the regular female barber in the neighborhood. I get the neighborhood gossip that way. Not much to cut, so it doesn't take much effort.

Blog Entries
    I stopped paying for a haircut about 10 years ago. I invested in a $30 Wahl hair clipper kit and SWMBO cuts my hair. We spent an extra $10 on a barber cape to replace the cheap plastic one that came with the kit. 2 hair cuts paid for the investment. She says she kinda enjoys cutting my hair and we have saved hundreds of dollars over the years. It doesn't cut into my Saturday either. Two years ago she dropped the clippers and broke the housing. I glued it back together. It worked fine until a few months ago when it got really noisy and wouldn't cut very well so we bought a new clipper. Got the $50 deluxe model this time, it is quieter and seems to cut better.
    Last edited by Larry Browning; 09-20-2016 at 3:07 PM.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Larry,

Do you let her shave around your neck with a straight razor as well?

Have not been to a regular barber for 20-30 years. It got to the point I had to drive 15 miles to find one. I did find a husbond and wife team and used them for those 20 years. I moved 3 years ago and nothing was even close to where I lived except chains like Fantastic Sam, Great Clips, etc. After going through every clip joint in the area I settled on Great Clips. I've had good like with them where I leave and in AZ where we spend the winter.

I do have to say my wife has not problem finding a beautician. They charge her $65 and I get mine for $13 at Great Clips. I think I know why I can't find a barber.

I go to the VA barbershop to get my haircut. Been out of the military for over 20 years and I still get it cut once a month, high and tight. Sue runs the shop there and she is a Master Barber. How many barbers will give you a shave? Sue does.

Mark,

My dad lives in Overland Park. I believe he uses a barber in "Old Overland Park" off of 79/80 and Metcalf just to the west.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Riddle View Post
    Larry,

Do you let her shave around your neck with a straight razor as well?
    She uses a safety razor. I don't trust her with a straight razor around my neck area!
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

I've been cutting my own for years now...there are almost no "real barbers" left these days. When I had my "long lochs" as you call them...I just didn't cut it...and the pony tail was a 'secret weapon' in technical sales. Now, it's about 1/8" long and a pony tail is no longer possible.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I'v been going to the same Vietnamese woman for 30 years. When I started I asked her if she knew how to trim beards. She said yes and did a good job. She later told me that mine was the first beard she ever trimmed. These days I only get my hair cut when I need a beard trim. She still only charges $18 for the works.
    Bracken's Pond Woodworks[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My wife has cut my hair for 40 years.... Another good use for my shop....
    On nice days she cuts it outside .....
    The last barber I went to charged $2 ....

I go to a "beauty salon" where a Vietnamese woman cuts my hair - and does a good job. Charges me $12 and I tip her $2.

But for most of my life, my wife cut my hair (she passed away a while back).

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.