Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Barber Shop...Do You Use a Real Barber?

For 22 years I went to the same barber. His shop was in the same shopping center as my place of business, he would phone me when he had an opening and I would walk over, no waiting, no appointment, good hair cut. Then he retired and his son took over he said he would call, but seldom remembered, and not always a good cut. I drifted from barber to barber looking for a decent cut, and I am not fussy. Finally found a genuine barber, he has taught at barber school does great job, and makes a big production of it. He tells why he's making a cut or combing a certain direction. Way more than I expected. My hair cut was so good my wife decided to give him a try. She liked him very much. Now we go together, her cut and mine $40.00 that's what hers alone used to cost.
    Bill

" You are a square peg in a square hole, and we need to twist you to make you fit. " My boss

No haircut can improve my looks, but for the record.....mom cut my hair for the first 21 years, and my wife for the next 52 years, so far.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

I just shave it all off with my Bosch oscillating tool.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Riddle View Post
    Does anyone still wear a flat top? My dad wore one for years.

My father does--I think he went back to it about 15 years ago around the time he retired.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Even in the old timer's shop that I patronize a lot of the guys still go for a flat top. I hate to see it because it takes the barbers twice the time.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I've been cutting my own for years now...there are almost no "real barbers" left these days. When I had my "long lochs" as you call them...I just didn't cut it...and the pony tail was a 'secret weapon' in technical sales. Now, it's about 1/8" long and a pony tail is no longer possible.
    Jim, I am deeply concerned about the proliferation of the trend of not going to a barber shop.

How are the problems of the world going to be solved if we geezers don't meet at the barber shop on a regular basis to discuss and solve them?

This may be worth bring to the UN so we can obtain a world solution to this imminent catastrophe................Regards, Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Jim, I am deeply concerned about the proliferation of the trend of not going to a barber shop.

How are the problems of the world going to be solved if we geezers don't meet at the barber shop on a regular basis to discuss and solve them?

This may be worth bring to the UN so we can obtain a world solution to this imminent catastrophe................Regards, Rod.
    Old geezers......and I thought we were youngsters?!

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post

ROFLOL...

While I do have one of those "zero" birthdays coming up, I'm hoping I'm not into "geezer-hood" yet! Seriously, I just couldn't see the sense in paying $20 a pop for something I could now do with a $50 clippers indefinitely (with occasional new blades purchased) since I went from long to the center of my back to almost nothing-really-short. As noted, very few "real barbers" are around. There was one up the road, but it finally closed after three proprietors failed to sustain enough business.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I think it would be interesting to see a picture of Ken Fitzgerald or Bruce Page with long hair in their young days.

Like many of you I faithfully went to my small town barber for 15 years and then he retired. The gentleman that bought his business was not nearly as good and I have spent the last 5 years trying to break him in. He is doing pretty good but I still miss my old barber. I pay $10.00 and a $2.00 tip. I really hate changing barbers.

Man do I miss the barber I used to go to. He died of cancer five years ago. I went to him for 34 years. Haven't had as good a hair cut since. Beauticians just don't have the same knack as an old school barber.

Old geezers......and I thought we were youngsters?!
    Had a trip to your optometrist lately?

We're only youngsters when compared to vampires.............Rod.

I think it would be interesting to see a picture of Ken Fitzgerald or Bruce Page with long hair in their young days.
    LOL! I never had long hair as in pony tail long. My hair was always too thick & wavy. If I went too long between cuts I would end up looking like Ronald McDonald with brown hair. I still have a full head of hair but I can see a lot further into it today.

I'm pretty sure Ken looked like a hippie from the 60's.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Interesting thread. I still use licensed barber. I met my barber in the sixth grade, and when we graduated high school, he went to barber school. One year later he started cutting hair, including mine. He is still barbering, and I still go to him, except when Uncle Sam was doing it. It is now 52yrs, that he has been doing my hair. I will continue. bill

I went to a barber shop or Supercuts for most of my adult life but in the last year, been going to the gal who does my wife's hair. A real haircut by a real stylist. It is pricier but lets me have my hair a bit longer but still have it look good. I don't how to explain that but it's just a better haircut. My wife detests crew cuts, buzz cuts, etc. and says she likes my hair a little longer, so you know how that goes. My brother is a cop and has been rocking the high-and-tight for his entire adult life. I don't think I've ever seen him with hair longer than maybe a #2 clipper cut.

Erik