Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hand Gun Cabinet

Hand Gun Cabinet

The client wanted a movable cabinet for his hand gun collection. He also wanted to be able to rearrange the guns as his collection changes. The cabinet is walnut and the shelves are maple. The cabinet doors are opened with a magnetic key (the mouse-like device in photo) which also serves as the door pull. The magnetic key stows behind the front apron of the base.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very striking piece. The figure on the right-hand door panel is beautiful. I like the "grate" pattern incorporated into the stretcher. Is this your own design? How are the handguns to be oriented on the shelves?

Mark,
    Very, very nice. Solid design and execution! Well done Sir.
    Mahalo for sharing - bill

WOW! Stunning eye candy! I love the grain of the walnut.
    The drawers and drawer pulls are exceptional.
    Well done!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Mark, that's top quality work. The door panels have great figure and in my opinion the dissimilar left to right appearance adds to appeal of the cabinet. Did you fabricate the magnetic lock? Very clever.
    Bill

" You are a square peg in a square hole, and we need to twist you to make you fit. " My boss

what a treat to open this post. Beautiful work, great details. A#1
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Beautiful wood, great craftsmanship, and a great piece of furniture.

Would love to see a picture with the handguns in it.......
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Truly a beautiful piece of craftsmanship!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Very nice! Great execution, beautiful walnut. Krenovian inspired?

Wow. That is inspirational work. My favorite is the internal drawers. What superb fitting and matching.

I recognize the absence of any visible hardware. That was an elegant choice.

Can you share more details about the magnetic key?

Prashun Patel;

Can you share more details about the magnetic key?
    I like to make my own door latches ala Krenov, which I did for the left-hand door. However, after a lot of prototyping my own magnetic latch designs, I punted. I used a TotLoK ( https://www.tot-lok.com/ ) mechanism.

Because I wanted the key to also serve as a door pull, I needed more magnetic attractive force than I could get with the TotLok mechanism. So I imbedded two 5/8" square nuts (stacked on top of each other) in the door. The totLok was then positioned so that its 1/4" diameter protrusion penetrated the hole in the nuts. Then I embedded two stacked rare-earth magnets ( 1/2" D x 1/2" L) (http://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=D88-N52) in the wooden mouse-like key. These magnets are incredibly powerful providing sufficient pull to open the door when separated from the iron nuts by about 1/4" (3/16" between the face of the door and the iron nuts plus the 1/16" between the magnets and the face of the key).
    Last edited by Prashun Patel; 09-23-2016 at 8:57 AM.

I like the cabinet also. Very well executed. I'm curious about the drawer guides though. It seems from the pictures that the drawers guide off each other? Is that the way it is or are there runners / guides internally - just hidden from view?

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    ... I'm curious about the drawer guides though. It seems from the pictures that the drawers guide off each other? Is that the way it is or are there runners / guides internally - just hidden from view?
    The drawers reside in drawer pockets - there are no guides. The space between the carcase bottom and the horizontal shelf is divided into the 3 pockets by two 1/2"-thick drawer dividers. The center drawer front has a 1/4" overlay on each side. The two outer drawers have 1/4" inch overlays on their inner sides. The outer sides of the outer drawer fronts are flush. So the overlays completely cover the ends of the drawer divides allowing the grain to flow continuously across the three drawers. The gap between the drawer fronts is very small, no more than 1/32".

Hopefully this makes sense. If you look closely at last photo, you can see the overlays.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Ketelsen View Post
    The drawers reside in drawer pockets - there are no guides. The space between the carcase bottom and the horizontal shelf is divided into the 3 pockets by two 1/2"-thick drawer dividers. The center drawer front has a 1/4" overlay on each side. The two outer drawers have 1/4" inch overlays on their inner sides. The outer sides of the outer drawer fronts are flush. So the overlays completely cover the ends of the drawer divides allowing the grain to flow continuously across the three drawers. The gap between the drawer fronts is very small, no more than 1/32".

Hopefully this makes sense. If you look closely at last photo, you can see the overlays.
    Yes - that's great. I missed those details when I looked at the pictures before. Thanks for explaining.

Beautiful piece. Excellent execution and attention to detail!

A reputation for craftsmanship is a responsibility
    to never take lightly.