Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "We have important information about your credit card..."

"We have important information about your credit card..."

I have been getting calls with a recorded message, but hang up before I can find out what they want because I am annoyed. I believe they are robo calls trying to get people to respond to prompts to sell something because CC companies will not call you concerning your account, at least mine doesn't. My CC balance gets paid every month and we check the balance often online to make sure the charges are legitimate between my wife and me. Anyone else get these type of calls lately? Just thought I would share.

Kevin

They are phishing and scammers. There used to be one from "Rachel in cardholder services." They amazingly won't be able to give your name or credit card number should one answer. They say it's for "security" reasons but want to get unsuspecting people to answer loads of questions. Don't fall for it.

American Express will call and frequently do call. They called me the other day to confirm a purchase.

We get an occasional call to confirm that we actually made a purchase.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Not sure why, but in the last 4 months or so, the scam calls on my cell phone has gone up by 10-fold. All masking their callback # with local numbers. this last week I've been getting 2-3 calls a day from 221 and 001211.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Tymchak View Post
    Not sure why, but in the last 4 months or so, the scam calls on my cell phone has gone up by 10-fold..
    Install the Call Control app.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Tymchak View Post
    Not sure why, but in the last 4 months or so, the scam calls on my cell phone has gone up by 10-fold. All masking their callback # with local numbers. this last week I've been getting 2-3 calls a day from 221 and 001211.
    Calls to my phone have increased as well in the last several months, not as much as yours have but definitely more than usual. It always amazes me the depths people will sink to for a buck. It's sad.

This stuff seems to come in cycles and the NoMoRobo service seems to kill most of them for me. I did get a call from Rachel dearest the other day...I hadn't heard her lovely voice in a long time. LOL It must have been a 'new subscriber' to the scam-dialer on a CID number not yet reported.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

We have noticed a big uptick in the number of robo calls using our local area code. I guess someone has added some logic to the robo dialer to use the local area code for the spoofed calling number.

We have missed out on a lot of auto warranty upgrades, student loan fixes, free cruises, and medical alert devices. We don't answer if the calling number is not in our address book. Figure they will leave a message if it is important. I usually look up missed calls and if it was indeed reported as a scam, I block the number. They only get one shot. Of course, they can easily generate LOTS of calling numbers.
    Regards,
    Dick

Blog Entries
    I still like Bill Gate's solution. All numbers are 900 numbers with a very modest fee (say, $.001/call or even less). The money goes to the phone companies for maintaining the accounting. If a call isn't worth an extra penny to me, it's not worth making. And, Gates also suggested that we could have white lists where the incoming calls from our contact list are free. That tiny fee wouldn't matter much to us but it would kill the robo-callers who depend on thousands or even millions of calls to find one sucker.

Same with emails. All emails cost $.001 to send. It would kill the spammers overnight.

As for local numbers, we get INCOMING calls from OUR NUMBER. You read it right, according to caller ID, we are calling ourselves. Best one is on my cell, phone are calls to a disconnected number. How the heck do you call and talk to a disconnected number?

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Feeley View Post
    I still like Bill Gate's solution. All numbers are 900 numbers with a very modest fee (say, $.001/call or even less). The money goes to the phone companies for maintaining the accounting. If a call isn't worth an extra penny to me, it's not worth making. And, Gates also suggested that we could have white lists where the incoming calls from our contact list are free. That tiny fee wouldn't matter much to us but it would kill the robo-callers who depend on thousands or even millions of calls to find one sucker.
    That was easier to do when everything was just on the PSTN. (Public Switched Telephone Network) But at this point, a very large percentage of voice calling is "Internet based" and it's difficult to charge back a number that's spoofed. The CID (caller ID) might show a local number, but that's usually not actually where the call is originating and the originating point is extremely difficult to trace, if possible at all. (Welcome to my professional world... )
    --

I have Ooma at home, and it's pretty good at keeping the robocalls down. Plus, I can blacklist any number within seconds...

like THAT does any good.

But neither Ooma's internal nor it's manual blacklisting will stop my nightmare:

Google's 'updating service'. They call Every. Single. Day. Usually several different times.

And it's easy to tell when they call, as the caller ID shows a city and a state and a phony phone number. Sometimes the city and state repeats, but the phone number is different every single time. So much for blacklisting.

the list of city's in my Caller ID log, which is about 3 days worth:

Denver CO
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Bountiful, UT
    Ogden, UT
    Phoenix, AZ
    Eatontown, NJ
    Sandy, UT
    Dwight, IL
    Midvale, UT
    Fort Collins, CO

- I live in Utah so most show Utah..

The call is always the same, it's a recorded call that starts talking before my answering machine message starts, so I always get the tail end of the message recorded, which says "press 7 to remove yourself from the verification system". What they WANT is for me to verify my Google listing, which I DON'T. I never asked for it, and don't WANT it. Every time a city/state call comes in, I just pick up the phone, press 7, and hang up. I've pert near worn out the 7 key on all my phones.

But

The

Calls

Just

Never

Stop...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Ummm...99.999999% chance that's not "Google" calling...
    --

14. I wish those blocking services like ooma worked with Verizon. You would think they would get tired of wasting their time & resources calling the same person over & over if that person never cooperates with them. I am so sick of raphael and her friends. I normally do not answer unless the caller is in my address book, but with the recent flood & DW death I am expecting all kinds of calls that are not in my address book so I have been answering. A royal pain in the rear.

Why reading this, guess who called? Yep, Rachel called. If you really want to have some fun, call back and ask for Rachel. Niece did that, and person on line who DID NOT have English as a primary language insisted that niece was Rachel, as there was no Rachel there! Kept insisting that niece was Rachel. She played him for several minutes before telling to never call again.