Thread: Basic repair.

Basic repair.

This nicely done old carving showed up missing a few pieces. I always seem to enjoy these repairs.
    If the pieces were just broken off and available then in most cases they can be just glued back in place for the most part. But here none of the pieces were available. So the first thing is to prep the broken surfaces to get them flat so new pieces can be added. The easiest way in this case was to use a table saw to produce flat surfaces on the carving. Just position the carving over the table saw and elevate the blade so it just skims the cracked area and leaves a smooth surface. Easy.

It so happens that this carving is symmetrical from side to side so I just made a pattern from the one side to complete the opposite side. Trace the complete section, flip it ,align it with the carving and you can then see the pattern you need to make a new missing section.

The easiest way to carve the missing pieces and induce the least amount of stress on a glued joint or the original fragile carving is to do the majority of the carving prior to gluing it in place. I band sawed the pieces I needed. I then used double sided tape to hold them to a panel and then carved them. It was easy to slide the total carving on and off the panel as I carved to check shape and profiles. At some points I just clamped the carving to the panel where the new pieces were being carved.
    Once the forms are established finish the carvings with the style and textures used on the rest of the piece matching it as best you can. Then wrap it up by staining and adjusting the colors as well as the sheen to match the existing carving.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The Woodworking Studio

Nice repair Mark!
    Interesting to see how it's done too.
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

Flawless work as usual Mark.

Nice job on the color match as well!

Thank you too! And since these were in the process pics I did fuss a bit more on the color. That and add a little "grunge" as is seen on the rest of the piece and the repairs blended nicely. Customer couldn't tell.
    The Woodworking Studio

Mark, you just amaze me! I say that as I have never made an attempt at carving. I'm certain I could carve off most of a finger, but details on wood elude me.
    I truly love your work.

Bruce
    Epilog TT 35W, 2 LMI SE225CV's
    CorelDraw 4 through 11
    CarveWright
    paper and pencils

Bruce, wow, thank you very much . That's very kind of you to say. But try giving carving a go. Even if it's just turning a stick into a smaller stick there is something therapeutic about it.

Thank you again.
    The Woodworking Studio

7. looks like new and nothing happen. well done!

Ahh! Thank you Mason!
    The Woodworking Studio