Thread: Reshaping the teeth on a handsaw

Reshaping the teeth on a handsaw

I have a 22" hand saw that needs help - the teeth are nearly filed off.

I filed them down and started to re-cut them from scratch, but I don't have an experience here and it isn't turning out well. I could re-file and start over but At this point I am a bit frustrated and just want a working saw

Is there a service that will recut the teeth and sharpen it? I live in the Seattle area so bonus points if I can drop it off and save shipping costs.

Blog Entries
    Joe,

I feel your pain. Re-cutting a tooth line from scratch and ending up with consistent spacing, geometry and Tooth height is a tall order even for experienced saw sharpeners. FWIW, I think it's always easier to work from whatever to slide you've got;

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kasier View Post
    I have a 22" hand saw that needs help - the teeth are nearly filed off.

I filed them down and started to re-cut them from scratch, but I don't have an experience here and it isn't turning out well. I could re-file and start over but At this point I am a bit frustrated and just want a working saw

Is there a service that will recut the teeth and sharpen it? I live in the Seattle area so bonus points if I can drop it off and save shipping costs.
    Not directly answering your question, but...

Have you given this a try? I think Stewie posted about something similar a while back as well.

IIRC Pete Taran (VintageSaws.com) has a toothing machine. I expect most professional sharpening services would for that matter.

I've some experience and what I found works (if you don't have access to professional toothing machines or an accomplished sawmaker) is to start the teeth with a hacksaw (Paul Sellers demonstrates on Youtube). it works well because no matter what point you are in filing, I found it always finds the line the hacksaw has made. Plus, Hacksaw is cheap and easy to get.

It's like starting a kerf to guide your saw in a crosscut.

Of course, there are saw guys you can ship your saw too for perfect, new teeth but I would advise you try it yourself just once more; if you're going to get deep in hand sawing, you need to learn how to sharpen teeth.

Blog Entries
    I've posted this before.

Popular Woodworking has a video "Sharpen Your Handsaw" by Ron Herman.

I bought it, watched it, and then I started sharpening my own saws. I have re-toothed saws and sharpened them.
    Make or buy a saw vise. I have an old CI vise, but I use a wooden vise I made.

I'm OK with basic sharpening since following geometry is relatively easy. It is the complete reshaping I'm struggling with.

I'll file them off again and try a hack saw. Maybe I will get lucky. Perhaps I should get a new file first?

Blog Entries
    Joe, when I re-tooth a saw, I file the saw smooth.
    I don't use a hack saw, I mark the tooth spacing with a saw file.

I tape a pattern with lines matching the tooth count and spacing to the side of the saw plate.

I will color the smooth edge with red marker.

I will make a file cut on the smooth edge with the file. When I am through the teeth spacing will be shown by the file marks I just made on the red edge.
    I then file the teeth by placing the on the file marks on the red edge. I will file the teeth by filing on each line maybe 3 file strokes. I then move to the next line.

This is repeated until the gullets are formed.

You should have filed the proper rake in the previous steps.

You will save yourself a lot of effort if you will get the Ron Herman video on saw sharpening from Popular Wood magazine.

Happy saw sharpening.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 09-21-2016 at 5:23 PM.

Ditto Lowell's recommendation of Ron Herman video. My saw filing was an exercise in fumbling until I watched that video (a few times I might add). I also contacted other professionals like Isaac at Blackburn tools, Pete Taran at Vintage Saws and others. What you're experiencing is the difficulty of not having enough of the right information. I've used Lowell's method of drawing the teeth on tape and employing the correct saw file to cut the teeth in sequences....that works. The second saw I cut the teeth on is still cutting oak like it was butter....and it is a thrill every time I pick it up. Mike Allen called it a "tall order" and I consider him to be as experienced as a pro after seeing his work and visiting his shop. I think the key is to not allow yourself to be daunted.....and to persist.....when you have accomplished cutting those teeth, sharpened them and felt them make the cut you intended....you will be more than happy you stuck with it. Good luck and keep us posted with your progress.

Blog Entries
    Saw tooth patterns are available on line.

I also had good luck with Paul Seller's technique of starting the teeth with a hacksaw.
    I made this bow saw blade (and frame):
    IMG_0165.jpg

I would suggest not going too fine on the teeth for your first attempt. This blade is 9tpi. I tried 16-18tpi for my first attempt, and it proved too sloppy. You might do okay with say 12-14tpi though. And, it depends somewhat on the file and hacksaw blade you're using, too.

I feel like Japanese feather edge files would be easier to use for filing very fine teeth, given their shape.

The saw was originally 10; Ill just stick with that. I don't think I will be able to stay this weekend, but maybe next.

I'll look into the DVD as well.