Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Poor man's rowmark / DIY rowmark

Blog Entries
    I expect this is who he is talking about.

http://www.southeastplastics.com/

A couple of minutes with a search function. And there is a link for getting catalog. Prices seem to be pretty cheap, unless you get good discount on Romark.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

I really only use Rowmark for one customer now, for name badges. Not counting what I charge for the magnetic and labor, the return on a 12x24" sheet is about $400. For a hobbyist doin fun things around the home, and for friends and relatives, I don't see a problem with DIY material, since it doesn't require the same durability expected by commercial customers. Colored acrylic is not that much cheaper than Rowmark, but you have more color choices with paint.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

I pay $17 for a quarter sheet of Rowmark. 1x3" is a very common size, for customers, friends, foes, whoever. At 96 per sheet, cost is 17.8 cents each. Cheap...

Now, if you start using it for flooring...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

I use a lot of grained laminate so I have some waste. The items I cut have rounded corners so, a little more waste. Even with that I get 77 pieces to a quarter sheet. Adding magnets, my cost per piece is 51 cents. My income per quarter sheet is $462. I buy from Johnson Plastics because their selection and inventory is broader than anybody else I've found. That is important because my customers want the same look on their product every time they order.

They have 9 locations around the country which improves response time and reduces shipping costs versus a supplier with just one location.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Yes, Southeast is who I use. I do buy Rowmark occasionally, when I need a color I can't get from Southeast. I do a lot of plastic so the savings add up - for me at least. Plus I like supporting small business.
    4 - Q1 converted New Hermes C2000's
    Signature 8080 Plus
    Universal 50w X2-600
    Universal 60w X-660
    Epilog 60w Fusion 40
    50w 5070 China Special

It's undestandable if you are a hobbyist, but as a company, you just have to price things right. No material is expensive if you can yeld the right ammount of money out off it. We use plywood that's priced 40 euros per square meter when we could get the same thickness material for about under 10€/square. The material we buy works better for us and is locally made in our country. Also it's a bit better quality and more laser friendly. Our customers have to understand why our material is more expensive and usually they are willing to pay enough for it to be a reasonable material to stock/use.
    Henri Sallinen
    Cardboard designer with a Epilog Helix 24 60w + Gunnar Matboard Cutter + Heidelberg Windmill letterpress