Thread: Small cedar box with inlay in hinged lid

Small cedar box with inlay in hinged lid

I saw a video on line showing how to make this box with rounded sides and lineal inlay all around the four sides of the box. Mine is a little different than the one in the video but that video gave me the idea for this project. This box measures 6"x8"x2" deep. I put a Magnolia blossom inlay in the hinged lid but a plain top would also look nice. The lineal inlay all around the rounded sides is 1/16" poplar. The box is made of eastern red cedar and is flocked on the inside. The magnolia blossom inlay includes Poplar (leaves) Maple and Bois'darc. I used a wipe on poly for the finish. Lots of extra steps in making this. Fun to make, but I am not sure it is worth the effort as an item to sell.Rounded sides box.jpg
    No PHD, but I have a DD 214

Neely done!

I think Pat meant nicely done, and I totally agree!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Nice job! Looks great.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Had a street sale today and sold two of these at 20% more than my other, straight sided boxes. Just may be worth making more like this.
    No PHD, but I have a DD 214

That is not woodworking........ That is "Art Work"...... Great Job.
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Nice work. The petals are silky and I like the way they drape on one side. The latch is too ordinary and overly detailed for such an exuberant modern design, think a spherical knob would look better.

wonderful work & great box
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    I think Pat meant nicely done, and I totally agree!
    Yes - I certainly meant nicely done. Really beautiful work! I don't know what neely means - I'll blame it on my cell phone.