Thread: Quikbench

Quikbench

Anyone use this? Woodcraft has a good price on it, and I have my birthday discount.

My only work table is my table saw, but this looks pretty flimsy. Reviews on Amazon are pretty decent, but some say it is likely to fall apart.

Well, it would appear that it is better than you have now, and probably not as good as the one you will eventually build for yourself sometime in the future.

Take it and build things!

Give your table saw a rest and just let it cut things...
    Funny, I don't remember being absent minded...

I've never used one, but from the reviews I probably would not get one either. For the money I'd probably get one of the Keter portable workbenches.
    "Live like no one else, so later, you can LIVE LIKE NO ONE ELSE!"
    - Dave Ramsey

So, no one has ever tried one. I guess i will pass.

How about the Keter? People like those?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    So, no one has ever tried one. I guess i will pass.

How about the Keter? People like those?
    I got dad a Keeter from Costco for $50. It has worked well for him as an additional lightweight service surface. Although they are not made for extended outdoor use. He has just thrown a tarp over it in sunny SoCal for the last few years and it is fine. I wouldn't try to hammer on it or hand plane anything but, in the spirit of a couple of saw horses with a piece of plywood laid on them it is much more refined, offers clamping points and so forth. For the same $50 I could build something better suited to my needs over the weekend so folks suggesting that are certainly on target unless you are in a hurry.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

You can build a nice little bench out of 2x4s glue together. It won't cost much. If you need it to come apart there are different ways around that. I bought an old maple basic workbench which each end of the legs were attached with lag bolts to the top. The cross boards were attached at each end using cast iron antique beds rails. It seems to work fine. You can still buy the cast iron bed rails for $20. I just didn't want to lock myself into a outfeed table if I needed to use the space. So I wanted something to come apart. The folding tables I looked at were not sturdy enough. I use the maple workbench as my outfeed table to my Unisaw. I adjusted the maple workbench by shorting the legs to fit the Unisaw.

If you are just looking for a small folding work table this from Home Depot is hard to overlook.
    Had one for years and very handy in the shop,

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-X-W...5155/202021304

85f337cd-6548-4bcf-8772-90dd7348fecb_1000.jpg
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

+1 on the X Workhorse by Husky..very sturdy and folds