Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why would I pay $300 for a framing square

Blog Entries
    I see it at $200 or $160~. There are plenty of expensive measuring tools out there...I don't see the complaint.

Rob, I think it depends on what you're building and what level of accuracy that you build to. I get by on my $20 framing square, but I've checked it for accuracy. Anytime I'm out of square it's usually due to me and not it, but I can see wanting a high level of accuracy and more than that....the aluminum ledge which is a nice feature.
    Last edited by Brian Holcombe; 09-23-2016 at 8:13 PM.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

I have found my ordinary quality framing square quite accurate when I compare it to my $2500.00 24" Starrett machinist's square,even though it is one of those chomped out rather than the good,old quality ones with ground edges. It is only a framing square,after all. Not really intended for accurate cabinet making.

I would rather have a steel one than an aluminum one. Pretty anodizing or not! And,plastic stuff is right out of consideration. As said,they can be adjusted with a punch if not perfectly true.

Some of my favorite tools are pricey and when I use them they improve my attitude.
    And that improves my work.
    Since my brain tells my hand what to do.
    What ever it takes to bring out the best in us is highly recommended.

I have two woodpecker tools one I like one I don't .

Aj

I just want to have confidence in the measuring tool I am using. If it takes that type of square to give you confidence than by all means buy one. It may not be for everyone. I have a Stanley framing square that I've had for thirty years or so that only gets used for shop work. I also have a metric one for shop work that gets used infrequently. I have yet another one that I use for outside work. I check their accuracy once in a while just to keep my confidence in them. I don't think buying a square so expensive would give me anymore confidence. I will buy any tool that I think I need in order to accomplish the task at hand. If I don't need the tool long term I will rent it. When I do rent I always end up checking the tool for accuracy and safety before I use it.
    Jim

As a carpenter, we use to joke you could read everything off the framing square tables, even the name of your wife's boyfriend. We considered the aluminium ones both the nicest to use and most accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    ... I would rather have a steel one than an aluminum one. Pretty anodizing or not! And,plastic stuff is right out of consideration. As said,they can be adjusted with a punch if not perfectly true.
    That is my biggest hangup with their tools. For the price, they could at least make them out of stainless steel. Aluminum and marking knives do not get along together.
    Last edited by John Schtrumpf; 09-23-2016 at 6:53 PM.

I got an email add for that square too. After looking it up on the woodworking supplier site, the price was shocking to say the least. I won't be buying one of those any time soon.

I did assume that the square was intended to be used for fine woodworking. I can't imagine taking one of those to any carpentry job that I ever worked on.

Stew

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    Chappell's largest square is $124, and I'm sure they're at the high end, which square are you referring to that costs $300.
    This may be it.

http://www.woodpeck.com/psq2016.html

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post
    I'm splitting hairs here, but that is $229. Still fairly expensive for a framing square.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

What framing square costs $300? I agree that an accurate and "square" framing square is useful and even necessary (for timber framing more so than stick framing) but I can't see what you would gain above the quality/accuracy of the Chappell square...

Maybe I should sell mine? Nah,,been using the old since the mid 80s....and my Dad's is still hanging up in his basement. Brown with white numbers.

people are willing to spend THAT much for a simple, framing square? In the same vein as " I've got swampland for sale..." maybe I should put a price like that on this one?
    cleaned up.jpg
    Brass and Rosewood....and a patent date...12/29/96. 10" Stanley square. The long bevel finder is 12" long on the blade.

Might throw "Shorty" in as a bonus.....Hey, IF they can find people who would pay THAT much for a framing square......

The woodpecker framing square is a misnomer in that it will not be an effective substitute for a traditional framing square rather I feel it is more like an oversized try square. Since it is not made from steel, edge wear will rob the user of accuracy with daily steady use.

Quality framing squares are a limited source product. One of the best is Shinwa American pattern from Lee Valley, stainless steel with ground edges, about $76.00. Alpha square from Germany with a quadrant, is ideal for angular layout, about $125.00. The Chappell square series is worth a look over, if you are ready to use scales that read 1/20th inch.

It is unfortunate that the American pattern steel square with hardened and tapered body with ground edges is a tool of the past. Stanley stopped production in the early 1970's. Lucky flea market finds have been rare for me. If you find a framing square with crisp ground edges and thickened at the joining of blade and body, buy it. They are getting more rare.

Amen to the above!!! Not that I use framing squares much,but I am yet to find a ground edge one myself. That stainless steel one sounds nice!

Obviously there is a reason for aluminum framing squares,especially when you are crawling about on a frame job a few stories up. I prefer steel because it is more robust and I only work in a shop anyway.

Hi Phillip,

It is a Woodpeckers square, and the accuracy is 0.002." I can't imagine any carpentry work that requires that kind of accuracy, which is why I am thinking it has to be made for fine woodworking.

Stew

Quote Originally Posted by Stew Denton View Post
    Hi Phillip,

It is a Woodpeckers square, and the accuracy is 0.002." I can't imagine any carpentry work that requires that kind of accuracy, which is why I am thinking it has to be made for fine woodworking.

Stew
    Years ago, I built the Gingery Lathe and its accuracy was about the same as that square. Maybe I'm going it wrong but quibbling down that far allowed me to build machine tools, not sure I'd need that level of accuracy in any fine woodworking situation. Just my .02.