Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why would I pay $300 for a framing square

Blog Entries

Why would I pay $300 for a framing square

When I can add wooden blocks to the short leg of the square that I have?

Depends what size your after lowell. Mine is 4 ft x 5 ft and made of old growth Huon Pine.

If your discussing a Roofing Square, that's a bit different.
    Last edited by Stewie Simpson; 09-23-2016 at 11:03 AM.

Why would you pay $300 even if you needed a full size framing square? Framing is pretty coarse work. It's not like you need a Starrett.

$15 at a home center.

Sharp solves all manner of problems.

I have gone to Lowe's and compared Swanson brand (I think) squares with each other and found they weren't the same. You can't always trust the accuracy of manufactured tools. You must be talking about the "one time tool" being advertised lately. You can buy accurate squares for far less money than that. Its just that the tool is so pretty and colorful - perfect for tool collectors. It can't be manufactured for normal woodworkers because the company doesn't think it worthwhile to make them on a regular basis.

Blog Entries
    Chappell's largest square is $124, and I'm sure they're at the high end, which square are you referring to that costs $300.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

I have a large turned bowl bought in Tasmania.... made from old growth Huon Pine. Wood salvaged from the stumps. Beautiful wood.

Robin; I was lucky enough to stock up on Huon Pine years ago, before they resorted to digging up the stumps. The rough sawn board shown in the photo is Huon Pine.

Blog Entries

I have a perfectly good framing square. I know how to check a square and if it needs adjusting, do so with a center punch.

I was intrigued by the pretty square with the handle. If it were a $50 tool I would buy it.

I could put a nice handle on one of my two framing squares, but I don't know what I would use it for in my shop.

You can tell I like framing squares, sheet rock squares, . . . . just about any square, but I'm not spending hundreds of dollars for one.

Just a not-so-foolish old man intrigued with a pretty picture.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 09-23-2016 at 11:41 AM.

There are several companies out there now making fancy versions of old tools and charging fancy prices. Not sure who their market is, but it's not me.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    When I can add wooden blocks to the short leg of the square that I have?
    That is only the beginning of it. All of your other tools have to be of equivalent accuracy or all is lost. If you butt your plastic speed square against it on a hot day look out. They are nice tools and fun to look at and fondle if you get a chance.
    Jim

Don't you guys ever tire of complaining about the price of Woodpecker's 'One-time' tools?

I say this as someone who owns NONE of them.
    AKA - "The human termite"

My wife and I bought a small cutting board in the shape of Tasmania made out of Huon. What a great smelling wood!
    I probably spent an hour at a mill on the waterfront in Strahan (Wilderness Woodworks?) watching them sawing some recovered Huon on their reciprocating gang saw.
    ~Garth

Why? Some people have the money and are willing to buy what they think is good for them. A lot of boutique tools are sold because "why" is not important; what is important is one has the spending power. I say that is good for the economy and good for the fancy tool owners, as long as not everyone produces fancy tools only, making hobby woodworking no longer affordable to the mass.

Simon

In the end it's like high end cars - if you earned your money by hard work and you want to spend it on luxury items, hey that's your business. It's not my gig but then it's not money either, right?

But it's still fun to sit around and go "Why the devil does anybody need THAT?!?!?!!!"

Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I respect the desire of some to own hyper accurate tools. I'm a tool nerd too. That said, there comes a time of diminishing returns. A $300 framing square with machine tool accuracy is akin to measuring a 2x4 with a micrometer. You know exactly what size it is, but in the grand scheme it doesn't matter.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.