Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thanks to a sore knee acting up..

Thumbs up Thanks to a sore knee acting up..

I couldn't stand around much at the yard sales this morning, let alone haggle on a price. So, this came home with me, and I might have paid too much...
    IMAG0001.jpg
    Millers Falls No. 100 Push Drill. Have only found one bit inside the Tennite handle thingy. Price?
    IMAG0002.jpg
    Well, I gave her a dollar bill, she handed back a quarter.....

Now, is it spelled Buck Rogers, or, Buck Rodgers? Seems to be in good working order, though...

Actually,it is DUCK DODGERS.

Ok, just rechecked the Millers Falls homepage.....yep, it is Buck Rogers. I may never get a chance at those two handplanes made this way, but I think this little drill should be OK, for seventy-five cents.....

Also, just check Bob K.'s little site. He lists one of the "DuckDodgers" at 89.95 or so.....4 bits, and OEM box. Might be a bit hard to make jokes about that......though some seem to think it is all it deserves.

Close to $90 tool.....I picked up for less than a dollar bill. I guess I can afford to laugh........

BTW: I dug around in that handle a bit. Used the one bit I found to check the rest of the storage spots.....found three more bits. That 1/16" bit is very small! Action is a bit stiff, though. May by a good thing? Or not. Parts that are nickel plated are like new. The AL parts have a lot of scratches,,,may be a way to polish them out? Tennite handle is free of any cracks. A little dull in shine, may be a way to polish that up, as well?

Hmmm, maybe Woodpeckers would bring out their own version of this push drill? Then we can read 80+ comments about that......

Actually, I USE push drills a lot......works great for making pilot holes for some of the screws I use. Quick to use, easy to set up for the size needed, a little handwork to drill as deep as needed. Stored away just like a screwdriver.

Seems Millers Falls came out with a full line up of tools, using the Tennite for handles ( anyone know the story of Tennite) and includes those two Buck Rogers hand planes everyone wants to collect. Soo, joke away...all the way to the Bank..

I was not demeaning your tool,Stephen. Just making a simple joke. Duck Dodgers is a cartoon version of Buck Rogers featuring Daffy Duck.
    Last edited by george wilson; 09-24-2016 at 1:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    ( anyone know the story of Tennite)
    Tenite (one N) will help your google search. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tenite

As an aside even though I am a hybrid woodworker (lean more to the 'lectrical side) I have never seen much use for push drills, Yankee screwdrivers and the like, they always just seemed like a necessary evil for those that choose to be completely unplugged. Maybe I have not ever used one in good repair or of decent quality. Then again the ones I tried to use were owned by the men in my family and by the time I was allowed to play in the workshops they were all power tool oriented and the handtools were in a corner rusting like a bad museum. I was in my thirties before I realized a plane could actually shave wood, my young experiance has taught me that planes were useless.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Like I said, these sort of tools work nicely for pilot holes...
    push drill.jpg
    Like for hinges, and handles. Doesn't really involve much work. These also weigh less than about any Cordless drill, and do not require a battery.

I hope you can find drill bits that will fit it.

By the way,"Laughing all the way to the bank" means you made money. But,you spent money. You didn't make money. I don't understand. Can you explain please?

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    I have never seen much use for push drills...
    Try one if you ever have to install brackets for window shades and the like, and you'll never go back to a power drill for that kind of application. When you're standing on a ladder, having a drill that fits in your back pocket is great.

Drill bit count for the No. 100 Buck Rogers Push Drill is now at 7 bits. Smallest being that #1 @ 1/16"

Skimpy weekend continued today....spent $2 for this
    long view.jpg
    What looks to be Rosewood handle. Holdall style chuck still has the springs for the two piece jaws. Couple of very small rust spots...kind of MINTY.
    logo.jpg
    Stamped into the arm: Made in USA with PEXTO inside an oval. Haven't found any other markings. 8" sweep. A bit heavy on the one end, though. All moving parts work like new. Not too bad..just just $2?

The chuck on the Buck Rogers No. 100 will take just about any round shanked bit. Up to a certain diameter, of course. Does not require a fancy shaft, like the Stanley Yankee #41.

Steven, glad your happy with you find. It's always nice to put an old tool back in use and you do more then most anyone! That being said, you can't compare a minty in the original box tool to what you have found, and keep in mind anyone can ask what ever they want! This is more realistic, http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Mill...QAAOSwgY9XeDUz Still a nice return for your money should you decide to sell.

Tom.

They cost very little, they drill (or screw) well, and they last forever. The Yankee I have belonged to my grandfather and is probably about 75 years old. I doubt any cordless drill will still be going strong in 75 years, but the Yankee is, and I would be willing to bet if my grandchildren need to drill a hole or drive a screw the one hanging over my bench would still be up to it in another 75 years.

I did not use it all that much when I first got it, because it only had a flathead bit. But Lee Valley sells those little adapters to hold all of the modern cordless bits, so I use it all the time now. For a hobbyist, it does everything I need.

IMAG0025.jpg
    Oh, I do have a few Minty, new in box items in the shop...
    IMAG0017.jpg
    That block plane sitting there? NIB Stanley No. 60-1/2, Cordovan block plane.
    If this was so rusty...
    rusty plane.jpg
    And yes, that IS the original box. Roxton Pond Que. Canada. Stanley Type 20, SW No. 45.

Might know a few things about "Minty"

Yeah, whatever.

Ok, I was going to stop at a place today...Boss said "NO!"

Sooo, IF anyone is just north of Huber Heights, OH. A little town called Brandt? Between StRt 201 and 202? Along US 40. A little store on the north side of US 40, just west of the traffic light at Rt201. LOTS of items for sale, both outside on tables, and inside an old General Store. Not sure of the name it goes by.....

Just a "heads up" in case anyone is a-traveling through that area.