Thread: Saw the Laguna 18/36 at Rockler's today

Saw the Laguna 18/36 at Rockler's today

A massive hunk. Not me, the lathe.
    It is definitely too short for me without any feet or blocks. 41" to center where my Delta Midi is set at 46" and should be an inch higher. Other than that, it is so beautiful. On sale for $2,249. Add Laguna's riser blocks and a swing away extension and it is around $3,000 plus tax and shipping. Which closes in on the G0799 or the G0800…

Let's just say it was pretty. Not saying I am in love. But it was pretty...
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Yes, it is and I love mine! The bed extension is a great accessory. Provides 32" of swing.
    Last edited by John Keeton; 09-23-2016 at 8:55 PM.

Yes, I saw it a while back as well. Laguna offers a lot of lathe for 2500 bucks. It has heft. Not cheap appearing by any means. You could do great work on it. Then we come to the idea of pretty. I suppose it's pretty in a modern sort of way, something reminiscent of the American Beauty in a scaled down way. But if I'm going to spend numerous hours over numerous years working on a machine, I want a lathe with the timeless beauty of a fine vintage machine, one where every time I go out to work on it I think what a beautiful lathe and rub my hand over it. That's why I've ordered a Oneway 2036.

I have the Go800 and am very pleased with it. 24" swing 36" over the bed extension I sugest you consider it Grizzly gave me a 10% off coupon.
    Last edited by Ted Baxter; 09-24-2016 at 9:54 AM. Reason: more info

Should I ask them for a 10% off, Ted?
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

I have the Laguna and have been very pleased. I bought at Woodcraft with a discount.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Kotnik View Post
    Yes, I saw it a while back as well. Laguna offers a lot of lathe for 2500 bucks. It has heft. Not cheap appearing by any means. You could do great work on it. Then we come to the idea of pretty. I suppose it's pretty in a modern sort of way, something reminiscent of the American Beauty in a scaled down way. But if I'm going to spend numerous hours over numerous years working on a machine, I want a lathe with the timeless beauty of a fine vintage machine, one where every time I go out to work on it I think what a beautiful lathe and rub my hand over it. That's why I've ordered a Oneway 2036.

I currently turn on the Laguna 2436. A great lathe and no complaints at all, but I totally agree with you the Oneway is in my opinion the most beautiful lathe made today. Enjoy your new machine and be sure to post pictures!

I got my 1836 about a month ago and I love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Kotnik View Post
    I want a lathe with the timeless beauty of a fine vintage machine, one where every time I go out to work on it I think what a beautiful lathe and rub my hand over it. That's why I've ordered a Oneway 2036.
    While there is no question the Oneway and Robust lathes are a step above and have an attractive ulititarian aspect to them visually (which can certainly be appealing) the last thing I think of looking at a Oneway is a vintage look. The Oneway and Robust for that matter are quite different from what I think of as a vintage visually, I don't see much Oliver, Yates American, Walker-Turner or vintage PM or Delta in either of them. That isn't to say they aren't attractive just that they are a modern interpretation of the lathe (performance wise a VERY good thing). Now I will agree that the newest Laguna tools have a modern flair particularly in the controls/colors but the silhouette is still pretty much a standard look.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Got an email from Woodcraft, 10% off Laguna today.

While I think a NEW Oneway 2436 is best looking lathe made, I think it can quickly become one of the ugliest. White is a great color but if you're going to be turning a lot of green wood??? I have a friend who turns a lot of walnut hf's and his Oneway is stained beyond recognition. I think Oneways paint is also prone to chipping? Both Oneways I have turned on look pretty rough. Go on YouTube and check out David Mark's Oneway.
    I don't know how these guys take care of their lathes or even care what they look like but I'm guessing a white lathe would be tough to keep pretty.

Quote Originally Posted by John Sincerbeaux View Post
    Go on YouTube and check out David Mark's Oneway.
    Over the years I have come to the conclusion professional woodworkers tend to maintain the mechanical side better than hobbyists and hobbyists tend to keep up with the cosmetics better than professionals.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.