Thread: Neighbor's fire wood...now what?

Neighbor's fire wood...now what?

From a neighbor's fire wood pile being cleaned up.

Big leaf maple roughly 16" long, and all split to fit his garage wood stove. The piece shown is one of the smaller ones, about 4" square.

I spotted the grain and realized what it was. Far too valuable to be used as firewood, I salvaged 15 pieces. It had been stored outside under a roof. Moisture content in the piece shown was between 12 and 14% probably because we've had an unusually hot summer. Almost no end checking (???).

The second picture shows the piece with one side planed smooth with a coat of sanding sealer.

Given the size, none is large is enough for a bowl of any size.

Any thoughts on designs to take advantage of the figuring?

And the sad thing is the old man who owned the tree had paid to have it taken down and cut up. Strange that nobody realized the tree at 4 foot at the base was worth many thousands to musical instrument makers. Wood like this is so sought after that until recently there was quite a thriving industry stealing the trees out of the national forests.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Are any long enought o make guitar necks? That's be my choice.
    Maker of Fine Kindling, and small metal chips on the floor.
    Embellishments to the Stars - or wannabees.

Peppermills?

Minature pueblo pots or vases or duck calls.

Wooden spoons, hair picks, salad forks, rolling pins.

You can make small vessels, large boxes, french-style rolling pins, staved and segmented things. The figure in such wood is lost on tiny things like pens but can look wonderful on longer, even 2-4" diameter turnings.

JKJ

Also, where are you in the country? I wish I could come visit and help you "dispose" of some of that wood. The sizes you showed is perfect for most of what I turn.

You could cut up the larger pieces without cracks into nice turning squares and sell them to us by USPS flat rate box. There are wood dealers across the country who would buy them. Our local specialty wood dealer said her sources for figured maple dried up and she can't get ANY but wishes she could.

JKJ

Must be out in the Northwest... Lots of BLM here. Not suitable for rolling pins because it is so soft. Same with guitar necks. You may be able to get some tops, bottoms and sides for ukuleles. Lots of smaller vessels, vases, boxes, pencil cups, tool handles for your smaller tools. If you do flat work, it would be great for boxes, or small door panels.

robo hippy

Quote Originally Posted by Reed Gray View Post
    Must be out in the Northwest... Lots of BLM here. Not suitable for rolling pins because it is so soft. Same with guitar necks. You may be able to get some tops, bottoms and sides for ukuleles. Lots of smaller vessels, vases, boxes, pencil cups, tool handles for your smaller tools. If you do flat work, it would be great for boxes, or small door panels.

robo hippy
    Yep, I'm in Seattle.

So far I've decided to make some boxes (non turned type).