Thread: Which is the best

Concetta Parsons Guest

Which is the best

I think this will be the right platform to ask suggestion. I'm in need of a secured door. Last day there happened to be a burglary in my neighbor's home. So we are actually panicked and thought of installing a strong and secured door. But then I came to a solution not to replace the door, but installing a strong lock system after reading this northtechwindows.ca/2016/06/27/should-i-use-a-single-latch-or-a-deadbolt-for-my-door/. Shall I use a single latch for my door or is a deadbolt better for my door??
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 09-25-2016 at 10:52 AM.

Deadbolt is much much better than the standard door latch. The question though is how would someone break in? Probably more likely to be a quick kick in of the door than someone deftly picking the lock. Most likely to break a simple window in the door or sidelight. Then they just reach in and turn the deadbolt using the knob / ever inside the house. Best is a double keyed deadbolt (keyed inside and outside) - that way they can't reach in through a broken window (assuming you don't leave the key in the lock inside).

Concetta talk to a local locksmith. Mine told me that its the doorframe that breaks when they kick it in, and suggested reinforcing that (more and heavier screws all around) holding it in place. Pat, FYI some city fire codes (like mine) don't allow double keyed deadbolts.

Blog Entries
    Many building codes do not allow double lock deadbolts. Motion lights around the perimeter are a good deterrent for intruders as are alarm systems. Strong doors are good, but burglars also will go through unlocked windows where they might not be observed.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Calow View Post
    C
    FYI some city fire codes (like mine) don't allow double keyed deadbolts.
    That's good to know. Thanks

A neighbor's house got broken into by the garage door then the house door, and also by the shop door. They were strong doors and double bolted.
    Strong locks won't do any good without a strong frame.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Definitely strengthen the frame and hinges. A friend of mine was in the police force and he used to laugh about every time they raided a house they would just bash the hinges. It didn't matter how many locks or what quality. It worked every time. Cheers

If there's a piece of glass to break and fit thru, a Fort Knox door won't help if someone wants in...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Set up a speaker and recording to a motion detector. When it is triggered, the sound of a pump shotgun being pumped should play. That is about all it takes to scare off would be burglars. About the worst sound you can hear in the dark.

Get a dog one that likes to bark
    Thanks John
    Don't take life too seriously. No one gets out alive anyway!