Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pressure Differential Gauge for Dust Collector

Quote Originally Posted by Cody Jensen View Post
    The system appears to let air go to either side at all times, so wouldn't the two filters get dirty at approximately the same rate? If one side is cleaner, it will let more air through, causing it to get dirty faster to equalize, won't it? I can't imagine there is a significant difference in pressure between the two.
    There shouldn't be much difference as long as the process flow is the same configuration.
    At the end of the day though, it doesn't really matter. If you need to clean one filter, you need to clean both.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

I have a thingy with a plastic u-tube with red liquid in it to tell how well my radon fan is working. Could that be used? It couldn't cost more than a few dollars.

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    I have a thingy with a plastic u-tube with red liquid in it to tell how well my radon fan is working. Could that be used? It couldn't cost more than a few dollars.
    You're absolutely correct. A length of clear plastic tubing shaped into a U with a ruler between and with water in it will work fine. A small floating colored bead in each column will make reading the clear water easier to read. Water will dry out over time and will need some added from time to time.

I saw the u tube manometers for radon applications, they were well under $20. They will work on a dust collector too.

Wade, the red liquid is almost certainly red gauge oil with a specific gravity of .826. A giveaway is to measure the inches on the scale. If the "inches" are actually 1.2" long the tube needs that oil for a correct reading. It's available on the 'net, not expensive. A small bottle will get lost long before you use it up and not be found until you have purchased a replacement. Where I worked we used Dwyer slack tube manometers all the time (the operators didn't believe our expensive digital meters and Wally boxes) and had bought a pint bottle of red gauge oil in the '80's. When I retired in 2012 it was still over half full.

If the scale inches are true inches then it's likely the tube is filled with dyed water.

-Tom
    Last edited by Tom Stenzel; 09-26-2016 at 9:46 PM.

I have a u-tube water manometer that I use for testing my dust collection system. Before I got a Magnahelic gauge, I used one on my filter. Now, I use it on my dust collector in the shop. When I make a change, I measure the static pressure and look on my performance curve and figure a flow rate. It is an excellent low cost tool for measuring the performance.

I just purchased two gauges for fairly cheap so now it's not really a cost issue, it is a performance/functionality question. If teeing them together gives a max reading, that is all I really need to know. I thought that maybe it would make sense to monitor each filter individually to get a sense of the overall system performance but Cody's point about them equalizing makes sense. I'm thinking now that I'll just put a gauge on one of the filters and leave it at that. Like Mike said, if one needs to be cleaned, I'll be cleaning both anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Stenzel View Post
    And for WTMI: In the same series, Photohelics are used when you need a switch output based on differential pressure setting. But I haven't seen one used in a new installation since the 1970's, remember them to be expensive too.
    -Tom
    On a side note, I have an industrial air cleaner that has a pulse clean function which is activated by a Photohelic gauge/switch. I'm still working on getting it connected but it is a pretty cool setup.
    - Mike

I received the gauges. What is the best way to tap into the Wynn filter canister? Can it be as simple as a barb fitting siliconed into a hole in the top or would a bulkhead type fitting be preferred?
    - Mike

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Zerance View Post
    I received the gauges. What is the best way to tap into the Wynn filter canister? Can it be as simple as a barb fitting siliconed into a hole in the top or would a bulkhead type fitting be preferred?
    Drill and tap the duct between the filter and the blower and use a simple 3/16" barb x 1/8" npt brass fitting, which may have come with the gauge.
    Last edited by Ole Anderson; 10-04-2016 at 4:32 PM.
    NOW you tell me...

I've got the gauges installed; one for each filter. Thanks, Ole; the fittings did come with the gauge and they installed easily in the location you suggested.

With the gate to my table saw open, I am averaging 1.5". These are new, relatively clean filters. If I open the gate to my band saw/floor sweep branch, the reading is averaged at 2". I didn't anticipate getting different readings from different branches, although now that I think about it, it makes sense. Allowing more air to flow through the system creates more back pressure. Opening a 4" gate allows minimal air to flow and the gauges read about 0"; opening all the gates and the gauges read close to 5".

My questions are:

A.) Is there an optimum reading?

B.) With new, clean filters, can I use these readings to do an initial "tune" of the duct work system; i.e., add additional ports or close off ports as needed to maintain an optimum airflow based on readings from the gauges?
    - Mike