Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is Grizzly Ad Misleading?

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    No opinion but I want to float this out there in defense of Grizzly. The person or team who came up with the graphics for that ad, I can say with 99.9999% certainty, has no idea what a DeWalt planer, or let alone any kind of planer is. Since I have worked with people who do digital marketing, the typical thing is that someone in the marketing division says to someone in the ad division, "We're doing this promo. Find some stock photos of this or that product to use.", and that's how you get what you see there.

Erik
    I was about to write that, when I found you already had. Remember the Microsoft Windows ads that featured Macs? Same thing.

The ad you mention looks like a mistake - but grizzly's Amazon ad for the G0675 planer/jointer still (after nearly 2 years) says it is made in the U.S. It isn't - and that is a genuine, inexcusable, case of mis-leading advertising.

One nice thing you can say about Grizzly is that Mr. Grizzly doesn't seem reluctant to hold his employees to account when they screw up.

I received an email today from Grizzly customer service apologizing for the ad and any inconvenience it may have caused, they also said they will try to make sure it doesn't happen again. As far as I'm concerned the issue is closed, and I will of course continue to buy more than I should from Grizzly.

I'm guessing all this is a misinterpretation.

One of the many things I have learned from this site is that everything I previously thought about Grizzly is completely incorrect. Grizzly builds the finest woodworking equipment the human race has ever seen and ever will see. We are truly living in a golden age, one that future generations will look back at with admiration and respect. I assume their advertising is much the same. If you think their business practices are morally unjust, or a perversion of honesty, my guess is your stance is unfounded and incorrect as mine once was. Grizzly is the Chuck Norris of equipment. Grizzly equipment doesn't process wood, the wood jumps out of the way in fear.

Quote Originally Posted by Cary Falk View Post
    Erik
    Does Grizzly make/design anything? I just thought they imported what Asian factories have to offer same as Jet, PM, Delta, Steel City, HF, etc. Does Grizzly employ engineers to design tools in Asia? I am asking because I didn't think they did but I could be wrong because I was not in the tool world like you were. I know some American companies take their mfg. to Asia to reduce costs but figured most everybody on my list were importers.

Cary
    I believe so. When I was reviewing some of their products (planer, jointer, Table saw, bandsaw) I found that (a) they were trying to improve quality and supply stability by moving as much mfg as financially possible to Taiwan; and (b) that they do design some tools in toto but more generally focus on quality engineering - i.e. specifying particular parts, materials, or processes where others just use generics.

So I've said before they seem to have good direction, value-for-money products, and good service, but terribly weak middle management.

Quote Originally Posted by Cary Falk View Post
    Erik
    Does Grizzly make/design anything? I just thought they imported what Asian factories have to offer same as Jet, PM, Delta, Steel City, HF, etc. Does Grizzly employ engineers to design tools in Asia? I am asking because I didn't think they did but I could be wrong because I was not in the tool world like you were. I know some American companies take their mfg. to Asia to reduce costs but figured most everybody on my list were importers.

Cary
    That is an intersting question. I will say you can't lump all of those companies together. Delta and Jet have some unique machines and most everything PM has released in the last 10 years has be unique to them. There 4 big bandsaws, 3 cabinet saws, their drill press and lathes are unique and if you accept PM's word were designed by them.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Martin,
    I never thought Grizzly made/sold the best equipment known to man, or that they are saints. I have bought a lot of their woodworking equipment over the years and never had an issue with any of it. It always performed as expected and had the quality I expected for the price. I was just unhappy with the misleading ad I received.
    Or did I misunderstand your post? Sorry if I did. Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    If the sale is only on "select items" and/or there are any other disclaimers about some items not qualifying, no, it's not misleading. And since a DeWalt planer would be a 3rd party product not made by Grizzly, it would come as no surprise to me that it wouldn't qualify for that level of discount..the margins are not likely there.
    It is misleading when the flyer shows a product on the front page that is not on sale.
    The front cover should show a sampling of the select items that are on sale.