Thread: Anyone own a PM2013B bandsaw?

Anyone own a PM2013B bandsaw?

I'm wondering if anyone who owns a PM2013 bandsaw could help me and tell me if this idea will work or flop, so to speak. I have a nice bandsaw now, but I've wanted one of the big boy Powermatics. Now that I have a dedicated workshop with ten foot ceilings it may be time to go for it. Here's the problem. The 2013 is 82" high and my double door is only 79" tall. I plan to rent a forklift with a boom that can shoot out and put equipment thru a door and set it down inside. The 2013 ships in a crate without the fence and guide rail attached. So could a couple of strong guys tip the saw and set it down on the long side opposite the motor? I could make a long pallet with an 8' sheet of plyowood and some 4x4s and lay the saw down on that, then pick it up with the forklift and set it down inside the double doors, then lift it back to standing position. I could use a hoist to help set it upright. Please tell me there is a way to do this without disassembling the saw into small pieces and reassembling it in the workshop. ( by now you should understand why I said flop so to speak, which I want to avoid having the saw do)

I looked at the Powermatic bandsaws last year when I purchased a new saw. I ended up purchasing a MM16 instead as they were basically the same price. I think the MM is heads above the Powermatic personally, and with the pricing being similar I'd seriously look at the MM or a Felder. Eric Loza is a MM rep or could help you out, or the other rep who I actually used was Sam Blasco. It's worth a look!

Yes, I think a MM16 would fit thru the door upright but with the larger MM or Felder it still comes down to the feasibility of a couple of us dudes laying it down on its side to clear the door.

I say put it on some cardboard close to the doorway. Rock It down and pull it in in one motion. Stand it upright on the other side. I had to do the same for my Grizzly GO513x2. I did it myself or maybe the driver helped. Either way it is only a 2 man job max.

I have moved an MM20 and Delta 28-350 though doors pretty easily with two guys and a appliance truck by just tilting it down then back up, three people makes it a breeze and much less work than laying it down.

I like Powermatic and that includes the current Powermatic. Their line of heavier bandsaws are feature rich and actually very nice, they are the one Asian built company that really does try to build a non-cookie cutter line of machines. That said I wouldn't buy one of the bandsaws.

The Centauro built Minimax saws are simply the best built small bandsaw line currently available and the MM20 is LESS than the 2013B. This is one of those rare situations where you can actually get a better saw for less money buying new. The Italians do a handful of things better than anyone else and bandsaws is one of them. As I said I like the PM1500/PM1800/PM2013 line and they have a lot of cool features but Minimax is the gold standard of small/medium steel spined saws despite not being painted gold.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Van, I like the idea of an appliance truck. Would you put it along the spine or on the side opposite the motor? Cary, sounds easy enough if the entrance is smooth but my is an outside door with about a 1" weather sill at the bottom. So that would require some effort to go over with a 900 lb machine. And I need the forklift anyway to get it around to the backyard where my workshop is located. Does your Grzzly weigh 900 lbs? I'll definitely check the specs on the larger Minimax, thanks.

I think the Minimax bandsaws are shipped on their back. Correct me if I'm wrong but that is pretty common as they won't fit inside a truck either. A pallet jack and a few sheets of plywood will get you to the back yard. A 900 lb machine is pretty easy to move. I've pulled a 3000 lb bandsaw around the shop on concrete with one. Dave

I have a 2013. When I moved it on my shop I removed the motor, table, and wheels to get weight down. I had it on a hand truck and just tipped it back by myself to get it through the door. Once it's tilled to the balance point, you don't go much further before it easily gets through a door.

This is very encouraging. Sounds like I'll be able to get it in without nearly as much trouble as I had anticipated. Have you been happy with your 2013, Matt or do you wish you'd bought a Minimax?

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Kotnik View Post
    Van, I like the idea of an appliance truck. Would you put it along the spine or on the side opposite the motor? Cary, sounds easy enough if the entrance is smooth but my is an outside door with about a 1" weather sill at the bottom. So that would require some effort to go over with a 900 lb machine. And I need the forklift anyway to get it around to the backyard where my workshop is located. Does your Grzzly weigh 900 lbs? I'll definitely check the specs on the larger Minimax, thanks.
    I always move bandsaws with the spine to the truck. As mentioned keeping it balanced is not that big a deal for one person BUT if you have rough concrete, sills or that sort of thing you really need two people and I always feel more confortable with 6 hands instead of four. With one person if you let the weight shift to much (tiny rock under wheel etc) there is little you can do but get the heck outta the way.

I do get your admiration of the PM's they are indeed the pick of the litter when it comes to that size range of Asian saws. Lots of well thought out features, excellent fit and finish and they just look good to my eye. While I have spent some time on a PM 1800 I haven't actually USED a 2013 (only looked it over in static display) but I would have a hard time spending more than MM20 money on a 2013. The MM20 is a time proven top of the heap steel saw and the difference between them in price buys a really nice smaller saw to increase ones options in the shop.

Dave makes a good point about the MMs shipping on their spine, most of the Euro saws do so the only initial issue is setting them upright. I have never seen a 2013 crated BUT I do know the PM1800 ships upright so assuming the 2013 ships the same way you are looking at getting it off the pallet outside the shop and ducking it in the door.

In closing my only issues with the 2013 is the lack of reviews (though the PM1800 reviews are fairly decent once they moved past the growing pains upon introduction) and the price. Just hard to pay more than the Euro saws. That said it is darn pretty (I like mustard) and I love the curved upper wheel covers, oddly enough it is why I prefer the Delta 20-350 to the PM81, the PM81 is arguably the better of those two 20" saws but the PM always seems stark and too square to me, the nice curves and remnents of Art Deco design make the Delta my favorite.

Good luck, if you get the PM I bet you will indeed be happy.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

I just realized there was a 2013b, I have its not as pretty daddy, the 2013. Taking the table off will cut weight and make blade guide setup easier, and removing the wheels will cut weight too. Each wheel is 70lbs and the table is over 100, so your 900lb saw is more like 650.

I got mine used from a guy who didn't know how to handle 3 phase and who's wife was sick of a giant bandsaw taking up most of the garage.

Many thanks to those who suggested an appliance dolly to tilt and move the bandsaw. This is the way to go. Worked like a charm after the forklift got the saw back to the workshop. I was fortunate in getting some extra help. While I was loading the saw on the forks my neighbor from up the road who is a contractor drove by. He stopped and asked if I needed help. He said he'd be back in a few minutes. A while later he drove up in a truck with some immigrants. The immigrants jumped out and commandeered the forklift. Once at the workshop they put the saw on the dolly and tilted it over so it would go thru the door then got it in position in the shop. My neighbor then asked in a somewhat condescending tone why I hadn't built a bigger door.