Thread: Yeti Tumbler and other Cermark engrave Cup Warp?

Yeti Tumbler and other Cermark engrave Cup Warp?

I have a 150 Watt Bosslaser and I engrave @ 150mm/sec at 80% power. I have noticed my cups getting warped a little where it get engraved, you can't really notice it visually but you can feel it. Is my power to high for the speed im going? Is it normal for that to happen?

Not really knowing but I would say yes, to much power. I would try decreasing power and speed and see how that works. 150 watt is pretty high for engraving. I knowy our marking but still more thens needed I'd say

Quote Originally Posted by Jared nemec View Post
    I have a 150 Watt Bosslaser and I engrave @ 150mm/sec at 80% power. I have noticed my cups getting warped a little where it get engraved, you can't really notice it visually but you can feel it. Is my power to high for the speed im going? Is it normal for that to happen?
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Yes, I've never had it happen with a Yeti, but I have had it happened to cheap flasks. I'd say your speed should be close to full speed (400mm/sec?) and then reduce the power as necessary. Really no reason to not run at full speed engraving cermark IMHO.
    60W, Boss Laser 1630
    75W, Epilog Legend 24EX
    Jet Left Tilting table saw and Jet 18" Band saw
    Adobe Creative suite and Laserworks 8

Way too much power. At 100w Cermark recommends 100% speed which is based on an 80ips machine.
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20
    Software: Adobe Suite & Gravostyle 5
    Business: Trophy, Awards and Engraving

I can make Cermark stick like gangbusters with my 80 watt Triumph at 180mm/sec at 23% power -- And for what it's worth, 70% on my machine=26mA, which then equates my 23% to a more accurate 33%, which means I'm somewhere in the 26 to 30 watt range.

Assuming your 80% is fairly accurate, that means you're hitting those Yeti's with 120 watts, and running slower than I do! It's no wonder they're warping!

The 150mm/sec is a great speed, it will allows a good burn using Cermark, but you really only need around 25-30 watts at that speed-- With that machine I'd experiment on some other SS at 15% and work your way up if needed...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Yea I just went down to %30 at 150mm/sec and its all good, so much for laserbits calculator, lol. It was saying with 150 watt to run it at 150mm/sec with %100 pwr and from my understanding it not good to go over %85 of max power for the sake of tube longevity. still learning so thanks to eveyone who responded.

Yea I just went down to %30 at 150mm/sec and its all good, so much for laserbits calculator, lol. It was saying with 150 watt to run it at 150mm/sec with %100 pwr and from my understanding it not good to go over %85 of max power for the sake of tube longevity. still learning so thanks to eveyone who responded.
    Getting a bit off topic here I guess, but Boss told me there is a machine setting for power which you should set to 95% on the actual machine. Then, you can use 0-100% power on your setup in the laserworks software and it will still never exceed that 95%. This ensures the longevity of your tube, and takes "human error" out of the equation. Also, they mentioned since most tubes start out at slightly higher wattages than they are marked, you're still probably getting pretty close to 150w when you set at 100% (with the machine set at 95%).
    60W, Boss Laser 1630
    75W, Epilog Legend 24EX
    Jet Left Tilting table saw and Jet 18" Band saw
    Adobe Creative suite and Laserworks 8

That's great you figured it out. But in the end Time=Money.

You have more then enough power to bond cermark. I'd try 40-50% and up the speed to 250-300mm/s. You'll engrave the item in half the time which means you can engrave 2x's more items in the same given amount of time as your previous settings.

With my 60W laser I'm engraving cups at 80% power and 250mm/s.
    Jeff Body
    Go-C Graphics

China 50W Laser
    Model # SH-350
    Controller RDC6442
    Vinyl Plotter Graphtec CE600-60
    Software used
    Inkscape, FlexiStarter, VinylMaster 4, RDWorksV8

9. I contacted Yeti about engraving their cups and they said whether it was engraved by laser or other means, engraving voids their warranty. With that said, I engraved our tumblers using an Epilog 40 watt laser using the settings suggested by CerMark. No cup warping.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Rasmussen View Post
    I contacted Yeti about engraving their cups and they said whether it was engraved by laser or other means, engraving voids their warranty. With that said, I engraved our tumblers using an Epilog 40 watt laser using the settings suggested by CerMark. No cup warping.
    And yet, there is an officially sanctioned company here in Austin using laser/Cermark. I guess if yeti is getting a cut, it's ok.
    355 - 10400 : )