Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: "New" (1940) Unisaw Gloat

Thanks for all of the kind words. I have had a chance to use my new saw a couple of times and have been very happy. One complaint is that my motor seems to get bogged down too easily and can't seem to generate enough power to cut anything more than 1/2" thick, unless I go really slow. I'm wondering is maybe I screwed up the wiring? This was my first time running 230v current into the shop and I just ran a line off of the dryer line in my breaker box. There was only a single space available and not enough room for a double.

Can anyone point me to a resource to correctly run a 230v line so I can check to see if mine is OK?

I'd like to try to use this motor, if I can get it to work. The rest of the saw is awesome and a huge improvement over my contractors saw.
    Ernie Hobbs
    Winston-Salem, NC

I need a new motor for my Unisaw

I have had a chance to use my new Unisaw a number of times in the last month or so. I am very happy with the entire package but, the motor is very weak. I assumed that I screwed up the wiring so, last weekend, I took apart all the wiring and got a volt meter to check out the outlet I put in. After replacing the old wires from the motor and rewiring the switch, it didn't improve the performance one bit. I sawed up some 5/4 walnut this week and it was able to cut it but only if I went really slow. Since this is a basic function that we need to have a functional tablesaw, I will need to upgrade.

The good thing is that, even though the Jet lock fence will eventually be upgraded to a biesemeyer or something else, It seems to function very well and is perfectly square. I don't really see the need to change any time soon. A huge improvement over the piece of junk fence on my old contractors saw.

Anyway, to make a long story short, I need a new motor. Any advice on where to find a steal on a 3 or 5 hp unisaw motor? I'd prefer to stay in the 220-250v variety, since I just had the outlet put in. I guess I'll need to replace the pulleys too. Terre Hooks posted one about a month ago but that one has sold. Any thoughts?

Thanks.
    Ernie Hobbs
    Winston-Salem, NC

Amazon ran deep (and deeper) discounts on Unisaw 3hp right tilt motors at the holidays last year. I missed out, but I got one rebuilt at a motor shop for the same price. Maybe they will do it again and you will be lucky.

Hi Ernie (Go Wake Forest!)

I would just shop around on "Froogle" and find the best deal. My guess is that it's not the wiring but, too few HP...

Motor Problems

Nice score. I'd remove the motor and find a local shop that can test it. The old RI have mucho torque and you should not have problem sawing 2" stock with the proper blade - not a combo blade but a true 24tooth rip blade. Check the folks over at www.owwm.com for information. Post a question and you will get answers. I just bought a 70's vintage Unisaw for $250 with 3 hp and it sure is a gem. Not an older model but it sure works great. I bought an original jetlock fence new in the box, and it works great. All my cuts are square, remember these fences were used for 30 years before Biesmeyer was even invented.