Thread: White lacquers?

White lacquers?

I am looking at getting a white spray on finish for some desktops. I like targets finishes. Anyone have any experience with their EMTECH EM6500 WB Bright White Pastel Lacquer? If not, other products that would work well? I would use their CL100 crosslinker for a desktop due to wear and tear, but any other thoughts or input are appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
    Grady - "Thelma, we found Dean's finger"
    Thelma - "Where is the rest of him?!"

I can't answer your question, but I'm curious, so I'll be watching this thread to see what the responses are. I sent a message to the TC email box regarding their EM6500 and the crosslinker as far as durability goes. I'll post up the response if it's useful.

Please understand that waterborne finishes that have "lacquer" in the name are not really "lacquer"--they are acrylics. Target uses that nomenclature because they have formulated the EM6000/EM6500 products to have some similar characteristics to "real" lacquers; most notably the "burn in" quality where each subsequent coat of the finish "becomes one" with the previous coating already applied. I have used EM6000 and previous generations with good success relative to wear. For example, my kitchen was coated with white PSL (two generations back from EM6500/EM6500) and only refreshed it last summer. The crosslinker should be helpful. And you can, if you want to, top coat with one of the more durable Target finishes, although I suggest you contact them for advise on the same.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks Jim, yes I am aware of their nomenclature and the burn-in. I have used the em6000/6600 for a lot of projects and have been very happy with it, I Just am not familiar with how their pigmented products look and compare and am curious what other alternatives are out there.
    Grady - "Thelma, we found Dean's finger"
    Thelma - "Where is the rest of him?!"

While I certainly used an older version of the white as mentioned, I was very pleased with the product. It went on nicely, laid down well and covered great in only three sprayed coats. (about the same I use for the clear)

Enduro is also available in colors (more choices than Target), but I haven't tried that out. The challenge for someone like myself is that I don't use very much finish in a year and the cost for shipping vs driving up to Target's warehouse are equally unappealing. I've been experimenting with other more locally sourced paints, but to spray I really need to get a gun more suitable to heavier coatings. The Target product sprays beautifully out of the container with the HPLP conversation gun I've been using for years. So many challenges...LOL
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Hi Alex, I'm probably a little late to the party, but I have used the EM6500 white before. I had great luck with it, laid out really nice and coverage was excellent. I used the product on a pair of night stands and a large built in project. Both turned out excellent.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.