Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Neandrerthals in West Texas

Was stationed at Ft. Bliss for a few years, did some time in Ft. Hood, one kid went to college in Houston, we were married in Terilngua, and inlaws live in north east Texas.....The Hill Country is by far my favorite place to live.

Ken, very familiar. Branch of my family came down long before there was a country or a state. Last I checked, there was still a town from an ancestor. I think they even have a traffic light or two.

Kevin,

Same here, my family was in the San Antonio area long before Texas broke from Mexico. My paternal grandparents were the first non native Americans on the family farm. Which was all well and good except with all the vast area of open land to chose from they picked the only square mile of Texas that had no water, oil, or gas under it. Mineral rights don't do a lot for you if there is nothing but dirt under your feet.

Over the years I've seen most of the world and lived for extended periods away from Texas but the bottom line is: You can take the boy out of Texas but you can't take Texas out of the boy.

ken

"You may all go to Hell, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett

...a lucky guy.

Can't speak from much experience about Texas, other than the great memories of quail hunting on the King ranch. I know, that doesn't narrow it down too far, but it was a nice change from what I was used to in CA and MI. Snake chaps were the order of the day and we ran into a few. As well as deer, coyote, javalena, blue indigo snakes, turkeys, cattle galore, and all sorts of growing things that could cause a world of hurt.

You don't really get a sense of the vastness of Texas, or even a ranch like the King, until you enter the gate and drive for over an hour and you've barely made a dent in the place.

Phil,

I tell folks new to the desert that heat kills very quickly and almost every thing in the desert sticks, stings, or bites. Be careful out there...hear.

ken