Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Neandrerthals in West Texas

Neandrerthals in West Texas

Are there any Neanderthals in the Midland Odessa Texas area?

Does it help if I grew up in Odessa?

Quote Originally Posted by ken hatch View Post
    Does it help if I grew up in Odessa?

Obviously not.
    Fair winds and following seas,
    Jim Waldron

Quote Originally Posted by James Waldron View Post
    Obviously not.
    Ain't much out west Texas... make the trip on over to the metroplex area and we can talk.

I'm in the greater Austin area and drive through the Midland-Odessa area a few times a year for my "out West" camping runs. Does that count?
    David

I had a feeling there might not be any traditional woodworkers around here, my hopes are still up though... a little...

Quote Originally Posted by Blake M Williams View Post
    I had a feeling there might not be any traditional woodworkers around here, my hopes are still up though... a little...
    Blake,

I can feel your pain. But even in bigger towns there ain't too many folks working wood by hand. How long have you been in Midland/Odessa? I left as soon as I could get my car packed after H.S..

ken

Grew up here off and on, just bought a house so might be a while before I pack up and leave lol. I know there are not many hand tool guys but it sure seems like a lot when you use google or get on here.

"West Texas" is a big area.... I'm in the Hill Country west of San Antonio.

Regards,
    Andy

Hi Blake,

I'm up in the panhandle. We are about a 3 hour drive from Lubbock, going north. I met a young fellow at an estate sale here in town a bit over a week ago, that is interested in hand tool woodworking, and we were both in a hurry, so I didn't get his name.....wish I would have. He is the only person I have met out here that is interested in hand tool woodworking.

Stew

Isn't Heritage School of Woodworking right down the road in Waco? Maybe they know folks out your way.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Hampshire View Post
    Isn't Heritage School of Woodworking right down the road in Waco? Maybe they know folks out your way.
    This brings a chuckle. Either you are a West Texan and use to the vast size of Texas, where you think nothing of a 350 mile trip "just down the road apiece". That was a normal fishing trip when I was growing up. Or you have never thought about the size of Texas. Back again to my youth, there was a popular post card that said "The sun has rize and the sun has set and here I is in Texas yet".

Odessa to Waco is 350 miles.
    The one most people have done is Orange, TX to Anthony, TX and it is 877 miles (about 14 hours of driving) but Texas is wide as well. From Brownsville, TX to Texline, TX is 922 miles. East-west, north-south, you can almost complete a Saddle Sore 1000 IBA ride in a straight line across Texas. BTW, California folks have some serious miles as well, from San Diego, CA to Brookings, OR is 874 miles. The difference with CA is it isn't miles and miles of "nothing" but then I-5's road condition is about as bad as it gets.

I'll leave Alaska for another time.

I'd invite Blake over to my shop but it is 600 miles of desert driving from Odessa to Tucson.

ken
    Last edited by ken hatch; 09-27-2016 at 6:14 AM.

I like to ride my motorbike out that way every couple of years. When you're from Canada West Texas is very exotic.

Maybe someday I'll move out to the Hill Country, if nothing else there are trees there. I'm two hours from anything, and 4 hours from anything different. Any and all trips we take are kinda long. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Fournier View Post
    I like to ride my motorbike out that way every couple of years. When you're from Canada West Texas is very exotic.
    Chris with tongue only slightly in cheek I called I-10 TBMRITS (The Best Motorcycle Road In The States). I did many IBA rides using all or most of I-10. To this day I can point out the IBA motels where I have stopped for a couple of minutes rest and it is most of 'em.

Blake, I hope you can. The boss and I talk about doing the same but I expect it is just talk in our case.

ken