Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wiha screwdriver longevity

Wiha screwdriver longevity

Anyone had Wiha SoftFinish screw drivers for a decade or more? I'm always leary of 'rubber' grips on anything as they tend to degrade over time.

Also, did you get the round shafts, or the hex shafts?

Thanks,
    Mark McFarlane

Interested in this too as I have been planning on buying a whole bunch of new handle tools for both the shop and electronics lab. So far its been looking like Ill be going Wera for shop screwdrivers and Wiha for everything else.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

I have had mine for about 5 yrs now and they are holding well. I've had no stripped end either and I use them daily. I did get the round shaft ones, not the hex ones. I do have some cheaper hex ones and I find they don't fit in holes where the screw is deep (I recently fixed my kids PowerWheels and a few screws were in deep narrow holes...)

The grip on the rubber is good. The metal ends also are much longer lasting than cheaper units (Mastercraft and Craftsman).

I do use them in a hobby/home workshop environment so mine might not see the abuse of a garage or industrial environment.

I used them for several years at work and never saw any degradation, though they were never exposed to any grease or oil.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Blog Entries
    The failures I have seen reported were based on use in an auto mechanic's environment. Solvent tank for clean ups and that sort of thing.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I have them, and it's surprised me that when I twist on something REALLY hard and really get some muscle into it, I'm left with black residue on my hands. The white logo/lettering is wearing off (just slightly) on the "bigger" ones. I like them, but I'd probably pick something else for "fine" or "clean" work. The rubber grip just feels a little "dirty" after awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Friedrichs View Post
    I have them, and it's surprised me that when I twist on something REALLY hard and really get some muscle into it, I'm left with black residue on my hands. The white logo/lettering is wearing off (just slightly) on the "bigger" ones. I like them, but I'd probably pick something else for "fine" or "clean" work. The rubber grip just feels a little "dirty" after awhile.
    Thanks everyone. I've read similar stories online about getting 'black hands' when they are new, but a few people said after a while the problem goes away. My biggest concern is what they will feel like in 20-30 years.

Although my original Craftsman set isn't the most ergonomic, they still feel and function the same as they did 35 years ago when I bought them. Unfortunately, my hands don't have the strength they used to, and the Softfinish grips seems like a nice treat.
    Mark McFarlane

I have the Wera but haven't had them long, maybe a few years. I share the same concerns as you. I like the look of the wooden handles ones Lee valley sells but they just don't have enough variety.

Oddly my go to's was a set of Stanley's but unfortunately they don't make them like that anymore.

I got Wera instead and though I have seen some people talk about the overmolds detaching I haven't had the issue, but I honestly don't use screwdrivers much mostly drivers/impacts. I do have respect for anyone that expects to keep a screwdriver for decades, they tend to disappear in my household long before the first decade is up.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

I can't speak to the Weras but I have a ton of Kleins with the black rubber grips that are 25 years old and they are still good. Now and then I clean them with simple green when they start getting a little grungy and they're good as new. The point being that if the right compounds of rubber are used they should last a good long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    ... I do have respect for anyone that expects to keep a screwdriver for decades, they tend to disappear in my household long before the first decade is up.
    Well, there is always that
    Mark McFarlane

Quote Originally Posted by mark mcfarlane View Post
    Anyone had Wiha SoftFinish screw drivers for a decade or more? I'm always leary of 'rubber' grips on anything as they tend to degrade over time.

Also, did you get the round shafts, or the hex shafts?

Thanks,

Yes I fear the same thing Mark. I have plastic handle screwdrivers some of which are 30+ years old and they still look good. I worried about the foam under the coating becoming friable and maybe gooey over time.

Yeah, one of my father's old screwdrivers, the black rubber overlay on the translucent yellow handle disintegrated, but the plastic handle itself is still fine --- I can remember using it as a teenager, and he'd had it for years then.

Thanks everyone. It looks like I'll give some a try and report back in 20 years, assuming dementia hasn't kicked in by then.

The 20 piece mixed set (slot, phillips, torx, square, pozi) for $99 on Amazon isn't too big risk, and has most of the sizes I would use regularly. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000T9XUI6...2FXQ39AV&psc=1
    Mark McFarlane

Quote Originally Posted by mark mcfarlane View Post
    Thanks everyone. It looks like I'll give some a try and report back in 20 years, assuming dementia hasn't kicked in by then.

The 20 piece mixed set (slot, phillips, torx, square, pozi) for $99 on Amazon isn't too big risk, and has most of the sizes I would use regularly. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000T9XUI6...2FXQ39AV&psc=1
    If you go with that set, consider getting it directly from KCToolCo (LINK) and use their 10% off coupon code: "NEWKCT" good till the end of October.

Also Carbide Processors sells Wiha and Wera and you can use the "creekers" coupon code for 10% off as well.

I would suggest you look into the Wera Kraftform Plus Series 900 (LINK) screwdrivers first though before you make your decision. For the shop they can offer some strong advantages.
    Last edited by Ben Rivel; 09-27-2016 at 4:40 PM.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!