Thread: Highly figured white oak box

Highly figured white oak box

I would like to share some of my recent woodwork since i haven't posted any of my work for a while.
    The box measures 11w x 7d x 4 tall. Really neat wood to work. Its grain direction was crazy even my planer with a bryd head had a hard time taming it.
    I did a little shaping with sand paper but was able to Scrape it with my card scraper thank god.Cause i hate sandpaper.
    The finish is blonde shellac with pure button lac polish.
    Super shiney.

Aj
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Beautiful wood and GREAT craftsmanship......
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Wow...unusually awesome figure in that white oak and masterful craftsmanship putting it to good use!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

That's a beautiful piece. I like the design and, of course, I love the wood.
    What gave you the idea for the "horns" on the top? They look great.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Beautiful. It's a shame your photography skills are nearly as poor as mine.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    Beautiful. It's a shame your photography skills are nearly as poor as mine.

John
    Thanks guys
    ,I must admit I took at least 50 pics with my wife's D80.And I have absolutely no idea how that camera works.
    The pics did start looking better after I got out the tripod camera holder.
    Geez photography is a whole new kettle of fish.

Aj

That is some really pretty wood. I would never guessed it was white oak and I have used a lot of white oak over the years. Please accept my compliments of the excellent craftsmanship also.

top wwkng & joinery skills, and of course the wood is wonderful. thanks for sharing
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Wow.

Besides the flame, those DT's are incredible.

Andrew, what's the purpose of the curved top pieces? Just decoration, or some function?

Quote Originally Posted by Allan Speers View Post
    Wow.

Besides the flame, those DT's are incredible.

Andrew, what's the purpose of the curved top pieces? Just decoration, or some function?
    Thanks Allen
    Just decorative,Like the horned cabinet James krenov made.
    I might add a handle if I think of something that adds to the piece.

Aj

Stunning! I'd guessed that the horned sides would function somewhat as grab handles. So, maybe you don't need to add anything that would interfere with the clean surface.

I've only been taking pictures using my cell phone, even though I had access previously to a top-end camera system through my last job (Canon 5D mk III with a number of lenses). If you really want to build a decent visual portfolio, then a better camera system is a must, coupled with a little studio setup so you can control lighting and omit background distractions.
    Last edited by Mike Ontko; 09-28-2016 at 8:33 PM.

Andrew that is some special white oak. I hope you have more. I like the design of the box.

I have a couple questions. How are you dealing with wood movement in the top? Are the three middle pieces floating in a dado between the dovetails or did you glue them all together with the edge pieces that are dovetailed.

Thanks Cody,The pieces that makeup the top are floating.
    I could find only one board in the stack.
    Bummer

Aj