Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Back From the Cabbage Patch

Quote Originally Posted by paul cottingham View Post
    I agree. I live with an absolute buttload of it every day. explains my sunny disposition :-) i was just making a friendly comment about an alternative to pain and narcotics.
    Same here. I suspect the tone of my posts correlates pretty well to how my neck is doing.

To be very clear, I was only replying to your comment about the meaning/significance of pain. I completely agree with your other post about non-FDA-approved medications, though so far I haven't gone there myself. Too much history from back in school that I'd rather not relive. I know others who do and for whom it works terrifically.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chase View Post
    Same here. I suspect the tone of my posts correlates pretty well to how my neck is doing.

To be very clear, I was only replying to your comment about the meaning/significance of pain. I completely agree with your other post about non-FDA-approved medications, though so far I haven't gone there myself. Too much history from back in school that I'd rather not relive. I know others who do and for whom it works terrifically.
    yes, I avoided it for a very long time because of my history. Turns out I suffered needlessly. The stuff I use gives me no buzz (or so little I don't feel it, pretty amazing, considering how long it's been since I've felt a buzz!) at all, and relieves my pain very well. And it's legal in BC with a prescription. Cops in bc apparently don't get too worked up about pot anymore, at any rate.
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by paul cottingham View Post
    yes, I avoided it for a very long time because of my history. Turns out I suffered needlessly. The stuff I use gives me no buzz (or so little I don't feel it, pretty amazing, considering how long it's been since I've felt a buzz!) at all, and relieves my pain very well. And it's legal in BC with a prescription. Cops in bc apparently don't get too worked up about pot anymore, at any rate.
    In Washington you don't need a prescription anymore. CBD will not get you high but for a great many people it provides real pain relief. I am a big fan of CBD, especially for post surgery pain mitigation.

I think that all has been said.
    C&C WELCOME

Blog Entries
    Again, thanks to all for your well wishes and prayers.

Speaking as somebody who got clobbered by a moron in a pickup truck while riding his bike to work a while back...
    I was hit by a truck, while riding a bicycle, in 1972. Had a bad flip over the handlebars about a year later. Both have left me with chronic pain as have a few other injuries.

Most of the time I just work around it.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Jim,
    Be patient! I had CABG x5 13 years ago. I thought that getting as active as possible as quickly as possible would speed recovery, the old "more is better" philosophy. That's where cardiac rehab made the difference. They deliberately slowed me down. It worked very well. It's really important. Best of luck with the recovery!
    Regards,
    Tom

Blog Entries
    Interesting comments about pain management, drugs....I sort of came to the realization a while back that public advertising and spin often steer us wrong, in the pursuit of the almighty dollar. I decided I was ultimately responsible for my own health care. We may all stand the best chance of a healthier existence by learning to listen to our own bodies. A better diet and reasonable exercise, geared to each individuals physical needs, are probably still our best alternatives for improved health. So much has changed in the last decades in terms of what medical schools and research suggest. Good vs bad cholesterol, cholesterol may be necessary for brain function, as the brain is largely fat...inflammation as a major contributor to: heart disease, diabetes, Alzheimer's..high fat low carb, low sugar diets, natural organic substances that may out perform prescription drugs...

It may be hard to sift through the shaft but there is good info. out there. We just have to learn to sift through it for ourselves in relation to our own personal health. Good luck sifting Jim.

Glad to hear that you went to see the doctor! I hope your recovery will be smooth - be patient and determined at the same time. My experience, direct and indirect (I used to coordinate benefits programs at work, so talked with a lot of folks before and after surgeries), is that it takes about a year to recover from any major surgery. The doc/physical therapist will give you shorter timelines, and you can get to 90% sooner than that, but 100% requires a whole year, maybe even a little longer for REALLY major surgeries.

I was back swimming 3 months after the neck surgery that almost killed me about 5 years ago. I'm really antsy right now, cause I can't swim, and it's driving me crazy.

Its weird, I hate swimming, but I'm good at it, and it keeps me fit. All that swimming (5-7 miles a day) when I was a kid wrecked my neck in three places destroyed one shoulder, and hurt one knee, (and I was a lucky one) but gave me a strong heart and a strong work ethic.
    Paul