Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Electric heater for shop

Thanks Jim, good info. My shop is 22 x 28 x 9', R-30 blown fiberglass in ceiling, 2 x 6 walls w/R-19 glass batts, SOG, 8' x 9' roll top R6, 1 std insulated man door, 25 sq' of dual glaze vinyl frame windows. I'm in Three Rivers, Oregon. 95% of daily lows are above 10F (5% below 10F). My heat loss calculator tells me that my shop loses 13.5K BTU/H. Looks like the Fahrenheat 5K Watt puts out 17K+ BTU/H. I'm ordering it tonight. Thanks for the tip...looks like a great unit, particularly the fan feature. I've got a couple of oil filled heaters in there now, will probably use them on coldest days till shop is at temp then shut them down.
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

Scott, I really like the Farenheat fan setup. It makes a lot of sense. And yea, based on your description, you should be fine with the 5K unit. The price is reasonable, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I installed a Farenheat unit earlier this year in my shop and am very pleased with it. I bought mine through Amazon and it was very easy to install.

I have the same setup as Jim

I use it in an uninsulated one car garage with cinder block walls. It will heat that space up enough I can work without my coat on. Works well for me as I only get 2 or 3 hrs of work in at a time.

I purchased it from Northern Tool a few years ago.
    http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_595_595

Only tip I will add is to be sure to vac the sawdust out of it before first use of the season.
    Last edited by Dave Lehnert; 11-30-2016 at 5:42 PM.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

I have 2 - 11' lengths of these in my shop and I love them - http://www.radiantsystemsinc.com They are radiant heaters, hung close to the ceiling so out of the way. Nice even heat along the entire length of the shop. I especially like they they are not blowers so do not stir up dust AND dust has never been an issue ON them as the heater panels are tilted downwards a bit so dust does not settle on them. You could use a couple of short lengths to stay in your price range. Admittedly the on demand BTUs won't compete with the style that Jim has been discussing but it is a good shop heater for the reasons I mention.
    Last edited by Sam Murdoch; 11-30-2016 at 8:22 PM. Reason: spell check
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Sam, my original heaters are electric radiant plug-in units I got from Lee Valley and they still help for that initial period of time while the air gets warmed up from the new forced air unit, especially when I'm in those spots where they are pointed at "me". LOL
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...