Thread: Japanese knives

Japanese knives

Hi Folks,

I have a single bevel Japanese knife in my shop right now that belongs to a friend. I have offered to sharpen it and potentially rehandle it.

Can anyone recommend a source for info on Japanese knives? Yes, I know it's a Google search away but I'm hoping someone here has been there/done that!

I really don't know a thing about this particular knife other than that it came in a box of 'stuff' from an auction and that someone beat on it hard! The handle has a split and the blade is rusty. But through that rust a clear delineation of tool steel is visible!

Thanks for any and all assistance!

Jeff (who has sushi on the brain now)

www(dot)bladeforums(dot)com

It's to all things knives - what SMC is to all things woodworking.

I've been a member there since 1998. IIRC, I was like the third member to register.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

I don't have any information on your knife, but for Japanese knives for woodworking, go to Japan Woodworker. I bought some of their 1/2" knives (right and left) and use them for marking and for cutting veneer. They used to be $20, which was bad enough, but now are $29. If everyone in the US had to have one, they'd be $1.50.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Thank you gents! I'm gonna have fun rehabbing this knive......the handle is cracked so I need to choose a wood for replacement.
    Last edited by Jeff Bartley; 09-27-2016 at 10:21 PM. Reason: I can't spell

Feel free to PM me for my email.
    I just did a rehab of an aya deba (single bevel knife for smaller sweetfish) for a friend at a sushi restaurant.

I've found kitchenknifefora and the kitchenknifeforum to be excellent sources of information. The former is more friendly, and tends to be frequented by more makers. The later can be more elitist, but have good people too. Both have excellent tutorials.

Do you want to be traditional? Modern?