Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Floating Credenza - Build Thread

That explains it. From your first description I thought you were replacing one. You have to do what a client wants and dovetails do sell. In any case I'm confident that the work will be a fine example. After all you have set the bar pretty high for yourself. Nothing at all wrong with that.
    Jim

Blog Entries
    To make matters more interesting, the show entry deadline is 10/4, so I've got to get it looking like a cabinet by then and if it's accepted then finished by the delivery date.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    I will answer with a video;
    I wouldn't have the confidence to do a glueup with the clothes you're wearing.

Looking forward to the series.

Matt

Thanks for sharing Brian. And nothing like a deadline to sharpen the mind. Best of luck with the show entry; I'm sure it will be accepted. Also, I really liked your approach with the grain matching on the cherry top.

Best,
    C
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Blog Entries
    Hah, Matthew, I make up for it with my footwear.

Thanks Christopher! Fingers crossed as they say. I'll probably put a few weeks worth of work into the shop this week(end).

Blog Entries
    My goodness Brian, at the risk of sounding like a blathering fan, I have to say I think your posts/blog are fantastic!

I wish you had a TV show so I could sit on the couch, cocktail in hand and watch you work. The "Brian Holcombe Channel" would constitute the bulk of my TV watching (at least until the Dodgers are in the playoffs!).

In all seriousness, I really enjoy your use of hand tools – not just to achieve a final fit and finish (which are exquisite), but also as a fundamental part of your building process. I envision preindustrial cabinetmakers working in a way very similar to you.

I also appreciate you taking the time to describe tool setup and methods of work. I've learned a lot from you, particularly about Japanese tools, that I try (feebly at best) to apply to my own hand tool work.

Although the wall hung credenza is a bit modern for my personal taste, I very much look forward to the rest of the build.

Thanks again for taking the time to share your experience and expertise – very generous of you!

I hope you meet the deadline for the upcoming show and sell tons of furniture!

Best, Mike

Blog Entries
    Thanks Mike!

A channel....hah, that would be interesting to a few and boring for many. The time I spend sitting and contemplating would seem like an episode of 'The Fly' from Breaking Bad.

My pleasure! Always happy to share.

I hope to sell! I've long ago run out of room in the house of more furniture so I need some buyers to keep the work moving, haha.

Looking good; also, the quality of your YT videos is getting much better - thank you for your efforts.

Blog Entries
    Thanks John! Funny as it was the smallest change that fixed the video quality. I stopped using the editor I was filming through.

I saw an apparently just-introduced YT video of yours a few days ago on the subject of (I believe? faulty memory?) chopping dovetails? or something while sitting on the work piece placed on your saw bench. The wood working was informative as usual, but I was dismayed, nay shocked even, to take note of an apparent deterioration of or a lack of regard towards maintaining your (previously meticulous) personal appearance concerning your work clothing. Paint-spotted work slacks? What? "Say it ain't so Joe." What next - stained-torn jeans? Stretched-neck tee shirts? The ever-popular shorts and cowboy boots combo? Forsooth Mr Holcombe - you know your duty and please attend to it.
    David

Blog Entries
    Hah! Thanks for the laugh.

Those slacks are not shoddy, they are Jackson Pollock addition!