Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Takeover ad on SMC

Quote Originally Posted by Biff Phillips View Post
    Well, if a few weeks of ad revenue is more important to you that protecting your customers , then I guess I am not going to risk coming here for at least awhile.
    Wow, really? .......I have no words on that one

This looks well on it's way to spiraling out of the land of decency!

"I" believe that SMC is probably doing all they can to fix this, but if it's not happening to everyone, (I'm running Win 8 on Chrome) and it's NEVER happened to me.

Perhaps it is an infected IPS server, personal computer (though I have no idea how it would select so many and not others) but to attack SMC after all the good years of service, dealing with outages, storms, and other many things out of their control, can we say they don't care.

Will a $6/year contribution, pulled in anger, really make them sit up and take notice?

Myself, I say thanks to Keith and his staff for providing the 'creek' and all it has to offer. Hopefully they will find the problem if it is at their end and be able to fix it.
    Funny, I don't remember being absent minded...

Sometimes there are advantages to owning a Mac despite the high initial costs. Also, I have "adblock" added to the browser. It shuts down nearly all ads, pop-ups and 99% of pop-under advertisements. Adblock is a free add-on by the way.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Riddle View Post
    Sometimes there are advantages to owning a Mac despite the high initial costs. Also, I have "adblock" added to the browser. It shuts down nearly all ads, pop-ups and 99% of pop-under advertisements. Adblock is a free add-on by the way.
    Ad block was running on my computer and it did nothing to stop the ads.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Adios Biff!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I have Firefox and Ad-blocker on Windows 8...no ads for me.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

The problem was not with our advertisers or from Google Ads. Remember some people were getting multiple windows opening when they clicked on a forum or thread.

I guess I do not care what caused it..I would just like to understand.

It happened on my Kindle HDX with Silk browser

It only happens with this forum and has happened a couple of times.

Does not happen with other forums I follow that use vBulletin.

Does not happen with any other website I visit.

So...what am I to think. I am not very knowledgeable about such malware, adware, viruses or any thing similar.

This ad does not descriminate between devices or operating systems. Ad-blocker didn't stop it on mine, or others.
    SMC is not the only website it happened on. Aaron is working on it. That's good enough for me.
    I think this thread has run its course.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Blog Entries
    Popads.net is a malware virus, installed when installing other software usually. It sounds like it accounts for all of these seemingly random events.
    See this web site for details.

https://malwaretips.com/blogs/remove-popads-net/
    It took forever for me to get rid of a similar malware on my SO's Mac browsers. You'll usually find they have attached extensions to the browser you use and changed your default page to pick up a reinfection in case you remove the extension.