Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Takeover ad on SMC

Takeover ad on SMC

You have a problem with one of your advertisers. 3 times yesterday I got an ad with sirens, pop-up windows, virus warnings, etc.
    Had to Ctrl-Alt-Del to the Task Manager to shut the browser down.
    I know I'm not the only one as I brought up the question on another forum, and got a few responses from others that got the same thing.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Some here on my iPhone. Pop ups

I also wanted to add that sometimes the website does not load fully. It is just text and no graphics. I just installed iOS 10, I don't know if that something to do with it.
    Last edited by Matt Day; 09-27-2016 at 11:40 AM.

Blog Entries
    I had something weird happen at SMC on my Tablet yesterday. I will report this to Keith.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Myk,

Can you specify which banner you clicked on the caused the problem?

We have banners that we host from our server. We also have two Google Sponsored banner spaces that are in our rotation, they vary continuously and are served from Google's servers not ours which means we do not have any control over the source.

My pop ups happened when clicking on a forum (such as classifieds). It opened up a new windows.

When I clicked on new posts I got a message "Norton prevented an attack" from some travel tune webpage.....

Blog Entries
    Mine occurred when I clicked on the notification tab to view a new PM and my tablet asked if it was okay to open it in a new window. When I said yes, I got all the ads. I thought it was odd, but didn't pay attention to who they were from.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 09-27-2016 at 6:42 PM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Here are pics of what I mean by text only. This just happened a minute ago and I could navigate the whole site in this "mode". It flips between this and the normal view modes randomly.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    Myk,

Can you specify which banner you clicked on the caused the problem?
    I didn't click on a banner.
    I have a folder on my desktop with shortcuts to all the forums I visit. All I did was click on the one for SMC. Properties of the shortcut take me right to the forums.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    Here are pics of what I mean by text only. This just happened a minute ago and I could navigate the whole site in this "mode". It flips between this and the normal view modes randomly.
    I've also seen this. Not so much lately.

Have you done a Windows Update? There are some bad root servers out there.

I had it happen last night on the iPad. When I went to click on a post a window came up to go to the App Store in order to view the forum, I X'ed it off and went normal to the post. About a dozen times last night it happened but hasn't happened today. I have never had anything like that happen on an iPad.

I have had it happen several times on my iPad. A new tab pops up with an obvious virus attempt when I click on a thread title. I never click on adds or banners.

I had the same thing happen last night. I had the ads enabled. Every time I clicked back from a sub forum, I had a new window open with all kinds of dire warnings. I closed SMC and rebooted my Kindle and disabled the ads. It seems ok now but was unpleasant.

Alright, let me know if you see it again.
    _Aaron_
    SawmillCreek Administrator