Thread: Slippage on shenhui 350 rotary tool

Slippage on shenhui 350 rotary tool

I have been experimenting with the rotary tool but am having some issues with slippage -- just at the start and stop of the job when the rollers move very fast. This causes my images to engrave fine but slightly off in position. Also this prohibits me from doing multiple pass engravings. Which settings should I adjust in the setup to slow down this y axis "homing" speed? I am using wide rubber bands to decrease the slippage but not eliminate it.

Thanks
    Shenhui SH350 laser
    Clone X700 “60”watt laser
    Full Spectrum 5th gen hobby laser

I haven't been able to figure this out either.
    Jeff Body
    Go-C Graphics

China 50W Laser
    Model # SH-350
    Controller RDC6442
    Vinyl Plotter Graphtec CE600-60
    Software used
    Inkscape, FlexiStarter, VinylMaster 4, RDWorksV8

One thing I've heard people do is weigh down the object with bag of lead shot or sand.
    355 - 10400 : )

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Morris View Post
    I have been experimenting with the rotary tool but am having some issues with slippage -- just at the start and stop of the job when the rollers move very fast. This causes my images to engrave fine but slightly off in position. Also this prohibits me from doing multiple pass engravings. Which settings should I adjust in the setup to slow down this y axis "homing" speed? I am using wide rubber bands to decrease the slippage but not eliminate it.

Thanks
    Why are the rollers moving fast at the beginning of the job??? Mine don't. And I don't think it should be happening for you either.

The only time that happens for me is if i have manually moved the rollers with the y axis button. If you need to do that to make sure it is on straight and starting where you want; you can hit the origin button again to set that as the new starting point. So the rollers won't move the object before the engraving starts. At least that's how it works on my machine.

Also, in laserworks you can set the "Test" setting on the rotary settings down to 5 (default is 50 on mine) to slow down the return to home after the engraving is done. Not sure if that's what you're using or not.
    60W, Boss Laser 1630
    75W, Epilog Legend 24EX
    Jet Left Tilting table saw and Jet 18" Band saw
    Adobe Creative suite and Laserworks 8

What you need to do is find your 'user parameters'. You're looking for speed parameters that refer to Acc, Acc-acc, initial speed, cut speed, 'space' speed (speed the machine travels when not firing, such as when moving from one text line to the next), max speed, etc...

Every laser software program has different names for the speeds (especially 'space' speed) but usually if you find any type of 'acc' speed, you're in the right place

When you find them, write every speed name an it's number value down so you'll have the originals. The 'initial' speed(s), 'space' and 'acc' speeds, cut all those values in half, and see what happens. This should really slow down the start and stop speeds that cause the sudden jerks that cause the part to move. Changing some values may change the cutting speeds, and if so, you may need to adjust power settings.

Just experiment until something happens that works for you! When done, write down those numbers, or save the settings if the software will let you, then re-enter the original settings for regular engraving...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

I did some playing around tonight and I think I am making progress. I changed the acceleration for the Y axis. It looks like the slippage has stopped but I need to get some more test material tomorrow to know for sure. I'll provide some details after a successful test.
    Shenhui SH350 laser

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Morris View Post
    I did some playing around tonight and I think I am making progress. I changed the acceleration for the Y axis. It looks like the slippage has stopped but I need to get some more test material tomorrow to know for sure. I'll provide some details after a successful test.
    Yes please keep us updated. I couldn't find the right setting to change.
    Jeff Body
    Go-C Graphics

China 50W Laser
    Model # SH-350
    Controller RDC6442
    Vinyl Plotter Graphtec CE600-60
    Software used
    Inkscape, FlexiStarter, VinylMaster 4, RDWorksV8

Due to work, I won't get back to this until Monday. I will post my results.
    Shenhui SH350 laser

I did have success by changing the Y max acc and keying acc settings (vendor settings). The strange thing is that when I changed the settings back to the original values, the acceleration was not as high as it had originally been. I had saved the original settings in a file before changing anything so I'm not sure what's up with that. I will not be doing anything else with the laser until after hurricane Matthew passes, but I will post further results when I have more time to play,
    Shenhui SH350 laser