Thread: Thru tenons

Thru tenons

Morning all. Getting ready to start an arts and crafts piece that was originally made by Gustav Stickley.
    It has a few thru tenons,as does a couple other things I want to make (also Stickley).
    Does anyone know how far to have the tenons protrude? These aren't wedged.
    Thanks.

I'm fortunate to have several Stickley pieces of furniture in the house but only one has through tenons. On that piece the through tenons protrude 1/4 inch and are chamfered on the ends.

Tom, the tenons through the arm rests of my Stickley Morris style chair protrude about 1/4" and are well rounded over. I've never noticed it before but, apparently Stickley furniture is not as closely examined for quality control as I had thought. The protrusion of the stretcher tenons on my dining chairs seems to vary from 1/8" to 7/32" chair to chair. They are chamfered.

About 1/4" most of the time, except where leg tenons got through chair arms. Those are about 1/8". Emphasis on "About". Original pieces show variances both in the amount sticking out and the degree of roundness vs. chamfer. Different workers, different details. This is the part that is art, not science.

Bob Lang

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Robin Frierson View Post
    I'm fortunate to have several Stickley pieces of furniture in the house but only one has through tenons. On that piece the through tenons protrude 1/4 inch and are chamfered on the ends.
    I agree with Robin.....
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Quote Originally Posted by Yonak Hawkins View Post
    I've never noticed it before but, apparently Stickley furniture is not as closely examined for quality control as I had thought. The protrusion of the stretcher tenons on my dining chairs seems to vary from 1/8" to 7/32" chair to chair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Lang View Post
    Emphasis on "About". Original pieces show variances both in the amount sticking out and the degree of roundness vs. chamfer. Different workers, different details. This is the part that is art, not science.
    Exactly. If you want everything perfectly the same, go with the mass produced CNC machined stuff.

Thanks a lot guys, really appreciate it.