Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rebuilding Power Tool Batteries

Rebuilding Power Tool Batteries

Has anyone used MTO Batter Rebuilders recently? I did a search and could not find any comments since 2013. I have a bunch of Dewalt 14.4 batteries that need to be rebuilt and I used MTO the last time and was satisfied, but the new website does not give any specifics such as the amp hour ratings, etc. Is MTO still a good source?

CPeter

Wow, they really messed up their website with that redesign! Clicking on anything just puts you into an endless loop. You might have to call them.
    Like you, I used them about 5 years ago for my DeWalt 14.4 batteries and was satisfied with their work. Those batteries have since gone belly up. I decided to throw in the Ni-Cad towel and bought the DeWalt 20v Lithium XRP drill/driver.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Never heard of this service, but if you're thinking about refurbing NiCad batteries it might be time to throw the tools out and upgrade to LiIon depending on how invested (how many tools you own) in the old 14.4V stuff you are. It really is a world of difference.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

The last time I planned to use them their NiCad and NiMH prices were high enough I just went with batteries off Amazon since I don;t use those tools much. I had good luck for cheap but it seems like it is the luck of the draw since even though they are "branded" the brands seem to come and go and some people have great luck and some not so good. YOu can get the 3Ah 14.4v packs for about $25 each on Amazon. Some of the "brands" have solid looking feedback but who knows how much is fake.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

I used them a couple of years ago with mixed results. Had 4 packs rebuilt with their highest capacity NiMh cells. The Panasonic packs went bad after a short while. They never seemed to get along with the Pany charger. The Festool packs are still chugging along. My impression is they don't last as long as the orig. packs on a charge - which is surprising because I opted to up rate the mAh rating of the cells over the factory supplied.

Now, my experience for the last twenty years was that Panasonic and later Festool had the best NiCad and NiMh batteries and I tried them all: Dewalt, Makita, Bosch, Milwaukee, Hilti, Hitachi, and Fein. Pany and Festl lasted the longest before dying and it wasn't even a close margin.

I adopted 10-12v LiIon very early on and settled on the Bosch platform . Those little packs have lasted longer than even the Panasonic and Festool ones. I still have, and use, the packs from a first generation PS20 driver that I got in early 2007 ! One of them finally gave up the ghost this year, but the other is still going , it's also waning though. 9 years on a battery is insane no matter how you slice it. An OEM replacement retails at $39 and often half that mail order - which means I'm in Van's camp now. Don't think I'll be rebuilding any batteries now.

If I was to start over again, I would do something different, but I have 4 drills, 2 impact drivers and a flashlight, all 14.4 DeWalt. Kind of expensive to throw all that out and start over for a home shop.

I guess I should look further and check out some of the other rebuilders. There is one in Maine that had some good reviews and there must be others. MTO's price was $30/ per unit, but no specifications and no information. The website is a disaster. Too bad, it was a good service in the past.

Peter

Most of these battery packs simply have groups of standard rechargeable batteries inside. (some are AA, some are SubC cells, I think.) So, if you can figure how to get them open, and are reasonably proficient with a soldering iron (to connect them) you can just rebuild them yourself, and save even more $$$. Heck, you can even change them form Ni-Cad to NI-MH, though I think you'd then need a new charger. (I'm not sure.)

I love NI-MH for occasional home use. From what I've read LI-ON is best for continuous pro use, but not necessarily for a tool that mostly sits on the shelf. YMMV.
    FWIW the new Eneloop Pro AA's are amazingly good. They hold a charge waaaay longer than even the original Eneloops. It's practically magic.
    Last edited by Allan Speers; 09-29-2016 at 10:39 PM.

[QUOTE=CPeter James;2608823]If I was to start over again, I would do something different, but I have 4 drills, 2 impact drivers and a flashlight, all 14.4 DeWalt. Kind of expensive to throw all that out and start over for a home shop.
    /QUOTE]

Pete, don't quote me on this, but most likely if you were to rebuild your own packs, and you are reasonably clever with mechanical things (aren't all woodworkers?) you you simply add three extra AA cells to the bundle. Then all your tools are magically 18v. I have two Makita drills, one 14.4v, and one 18v, and they are part-for -part identical, except for the battery socket. I would be very surprised if most 14.4v tools had internal components that couldn't take 18v. Maybe even 24v, but I have no idea. Possibly some mechanical parts would be borderline strong enough from the extra torque. And maybe not.

The only reason I'd upgrade from my current 18v stuff is to have brushless motors, but that's not a big enough deal to warrant the switch.

Quote Originally Posted by Allan Speers View Post
    Most of these battery packs simply have groups of standard rechargeable AA batteries inside. So, if you can figure how to get them open, and are reasonably proficient with a soldering iron (to connect them) you can just rebuild them yourself, and save even more $$$. Heck, you can even change them form Ni-Cad to NI-MH, though I think you'd then need a new charger. (I'm not sure.)

I love NI-MH for occasional home use. From what I've read LI-ON is best for continuous pro use, but not necessarily for a tool that mostly sits on the shelf. YMMV.
    FWIW the new Eneloop Pro AA's are amazingly good. They hold a charge waaaay longer than even the original Eneloops. It's practically magic.
    You can order tabbed, 1.2v, sub-C cell batteries many places online. It is possible to solder a tab from one battery to the end of another, but it isn't likely to stick very well and if you overheat the battery (especially Li-ion) they will explode. The preferred method is to use a capacitive discharge welder, which is used for welding sheet goods together. The weld looks like a divot or ping but it is actually a weld of the 2 pieces where soldering in this case would be more of just a really hot adhesive. Most folks don't have a CD welder just laying around, but most heat and air shops have one for welding up duct work. I asked the shop just up the road from me if I could use theirs and they were all over the idea, but I haven't gotten around to trying it yet. Hopefully someday though - I've been offered any number of tool sets with dead batteries that cost barely more to replace than to re-buy the set. Seems like everyone I know has a few of these sitting on a shelf collecting dust.

I actually thought about doing this as a side job a while back, but the margins are just too low and most folks won't pay near off-the-shelf prices no matter how much better the components are. Buying in bulk is cheaper, but in general a tabbed 3600mAh NiCad sub-C is about $3.80. For a 14.4v battery you need 12 cells so materials alone would cost ~$45 per battery. WAY WAY WAY better than OEM, but too expensive for most to even consider. My 20v DeWalt drill with 2 batteries and charger was only $100.

I used MTO for my NiMh batteries in my Makita 14V drill about 2 years ago. I got better batteries then the original with a longer run time; and they have been great so far.

Blog Entries
    I called them about rebuilding my 14.4 volt batteries since I would be traveling by. They prepared the battery packs in advance and did the work while I was there in about 30 minutes. That was about 2 years ago. I had two batteries rebuilt for less than the cost of one new one and they both have more power than the original batteries had when I first got my drill.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

(9) months ago I used "Prime Cell" to rebuild a pair of 12v Ni-Cads for a German made Milwaukee drill. The shipping was lightning quick and the work was great. These batteries never worked at well, even when brand new. More power, longer life and they stay charged sitting for a very long time. Price was very fair IMO as was the shipping back to me.
    Good luck,
    Mac

I have the same issue with 4-5 Makita 18v Li-ion packs. I only have one functioning, but I'm fairly invested in the system with drills, grinder, etc.

Is there anything preventing me from doing a re-build of my batteries? Cannibalize one or two for the good cells?

I've had issues with replacement packs on my charger (replaced the charger last year also) because after three tries the charger locks out the battery pack.

If I work on this, am I just throwing good money after bad, given that Makita has already locked out my batteries?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Ramsey View Post
    It is possible to solder a tab from one battery to the end of another, but it isn't likely to stick very well and if you overheat the battery (especially Li-ion) they will explode. The preferred method is to use a capacitive discharge welder

Woah, that's good to know! I've never done Li-Ion. What I use is a huge soldering iron, about 1.5' long and very thick. I puts out a LOT of heat, so you only need to touch the battery for a split-second. (and I pre-coat with flux, also.) So far, so good, with Ni-Cad & Ni-Md.

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Ramsey View Post
    Buying in bulk is cheaper, but in general a tabbed 3600mAh NiCad sub-C is about $3.80. For a 14.4v battery you need 12 cells so materials alone would cost ~$45 per battery. WAY WAY WAY better than OEM, but too expensive for most to even consider. My 20v DeWalt drill with 2 batteries and charger was only $100.
    A fair point, but do you really need 3600mAh? A Dewalt XRP, for instance, is only 2.4mAh.
    I've seen 12-packs of 5000mAh NiMH SubC cells for $48. Expensive, but that will blow away the stock battery & still cost a little bit less. You can get 16 Tenergy 5000mAh for $64. That makes an awfully tasty 18v.

I guess it's a case-by-case decision.

Oh, and that soldering thing, if you use Li-Ion.
    Last edited by Allan Speers; 09-29-2016 at 10:40 PM.